6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rent

5 83.33%
  • Buy Used

1 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rent or Buy used?

Default Rent or Buy used?

DH gave in! He said "*I* think it's a waste since we have two, but if you feel it's necessary rent a pump"

Gavin turns one in Jan. And my classes end at the end of November. So I only need to pump for a little over two or three months.

So Renting costs $48 to buy the kit plus $60 a month. For the medela symphonie.

Or I know of someone (not personally, but through a playgroup) that is selling a 2009 PISA for $200. (sell new here for $359.99 - which there is no way I can convince DH that's worth it) I've asked her a bunch of questions on what 'gently used' means. She offered to let me try it (umm no thanks if I want it I'll sterilize first ).

I know some of you are totally against buying used and others feel ok with sterilizing.

So WDYT?
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Default Re: Rent or Buy used?

I personally wouldn't have any problems using a used pump, and have loaned one out to a few moms on here that didn't have a prob either. I would replace the tubing and stuff but aside from that....I'm a-ok with it.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    I personally wouldn't have any problems using a used pump, and have loaned one out to a few moms on here that didn't have a prob either. I would replace the tubing and stuff but aside from that....I'm a-ok with it.
    I just bought new valves, membranes and shields for my swing too. I've been using one of the set on my swing for about a week now but it's that much less to buy.

(assuming medela parts are interchangeable between pumps)
    Amanda

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

My PIS was used ... and not "gently used" at that. I got it as a hand-me-down from my friend, who used it with her eldest and a SET OF TRIPLETS! So this was a very well loved pump. I was sure she was disease free. I bought new tubes and parts, and it and it saw me through, so no complaints. If I have another kid, I will buy a new pump because I think the PIS was starting to fade on me towards the end. But that's after pumping for FIVE babies!

In your situation, I think it's a harder call, because you may or may not get a lot better results from the PIS than from the Swing. And you're suffering from low supply. So I'm thinking that actually, paying the money to rent a super high quality, hospital grade pump, might be worth it. It's only a few months, after all ...

Man, tough call!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I know right!? And whatever I do had better work... because there's no way DH will be happy if I say I spent all that money and got no better results.

Actually maybe that means renting would be good. If it doesn't do any better than my current set up I can send it back and just continue with what I've got.
    Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babylove View Post
    Actually maybe that means renting would be good. If it doesn't do any better than my current set up I can send it back and just continue with what I've got.
    If, after 30 days of using the better pump, you see no difference in output, you are only out $108 (if I remember your figures correctly) rather than $200. If you see a great increase in output, another couple months of rental fees will be a no brainer. And honestly, your chances of increasing your supply may be significantly better with the hospital grade pump anyway ...

It's a puzzler. But I'm voting rent.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I would rent too in your situation.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

FWIW too, I think that you could probably find a used PISA for cheaper than that. ($200)
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    FWIW too, I think that you could probably find a used PISA for cheaper than that. ($200)
    That's a good point, too. I got mine free. Considering that the manufacturers specifically recommend AGAINST passing pumps to other users, you'd think that would reduce the resale value a good amount - after all, it's at your own risk, no warranty, etc. (Not that I agree with the recommendation, I'm just giving some haggle-points! )

Maybe explain your sitch and offer the lady $108?

You can call me JoMo!

The Symphony is a very good pump, I think I'd rent. I bought a used PIS and I think it hurt my supply the month I used it. The lady only had one kid, too, and my sister knew her...I would not buy used from a stranger, for sure. Even so, now, I think I would only buy new or rent a good one since they can wear out gradually and it might hurt your supply.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.