Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping in the evenings

Default Pumping in the evenings

Hi,

I work full time and recently had a stressful move which reduced my milk supply, and I am trying to bring it back up. I am pumping 3 times while at work (8 a.m.-4 p.m.), and in the evenings I am trying to pump each time after my baby feeds. The problem is that in the evenings, my milk supply is always a little low, so my baby nurses very frequently. I am afraid that when I pump after every feed, when she comes back for the next feed, she won't have enough flow to keep her interested. She very frequently latches on and off, and does all her gymnastics (crunches, push-ups, what have you) when she is feeding, so I think her interest is already waning.

Should I really pump in the evenings? She feeds off only one breast at every feeding, so should I still be pumping both breasts or only one? What is a good way to build up my milk supply?

Thanks,

Vidhya.

Default Re: Pumping in the evenings

i also pump 3 times at work (9:30am, 12:30pm, and 3:30pm). i used to also pump once at night before i go to sleep (so this is a couple hours after i've nurse my dd to sleep and at least 1 - 1.5 hours before dd wakes up again for another feeding). you could do that - just pump once in the evening before you go to sleep. or...since your dd just nurses on one breast during each feeding, you should pump the other side after she's done nursing (though many mothers have mastered the art of pumping and nursing at the same time!).

to maintain and increase your supply, you definitely want to nurse on demand, and it sounds like you're doing a great job at that! you may also want to consider taking herbal supplements to boost your supply, such as Fenugreek (you can get this at GNC). It has also been said that oatmeal can help to increase your supply. There is also Mother's Milk Tea (available at GNC and other whole foods stores).

HTH!
    Last edited by Aleina's_Mom; October 13th, 2006 at 10:20 AM.
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Default Re: Pumping in the evenings

I also pump 3 times at work (9:30, 12:30, and 3:30). I am usually able to pump about 12 oz while at work. I don't pump at all in the evenings and my dd seems to eat constantly. I have been reading about cluster feeding and I think that this is what is happening in the evenings. I thought that my milk supply was low too. She eats almost constantly from about 6 pm - 10 pm and she never seems satisfied. I think that the constant feeding is helping to build my milk supply though. I wouldn't worry about pumping in the evenings and just feed on demand. I also usually pump an extra 4 oz around 6am before my dd wakes up. This gives me 16 oz every day to send to the sitter. She usually takes between 12 and 16 oz so right now this is working out perfectly.