Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I take this medication while nursing?

Default Can I take this medication while nursing?

I remember seeing on the forum a website that I can check to see if a certain medication is ok to take while nursing. Can someone provide me that website please?

Also, I received an email from a friend. Her SIL is preg and concerned that she won't be able to nurse. She says her SIL is not a healthy girl and had been over exposed to formaldehyde, so the docs don't think she is going to be able to BF. Is there any truth in this? Can exposure to formaldehyde prevent you from nursing?
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Default Re: Can I take this medication while nursing?

I refer to The Nursing Mothers Companion by Kathleen Huggins for information on medications, since over the course of a nursing relationship you want to check the safety of everything, especially OTC, which may not be harmful to you alone, but may affect your baby. Do not rely on your family physician alone for information. I have found that many just know what drug companies tell them. You can always call a pharmacy, they have a reference guide and must know if drugs are compatible. They are classified in different groups. I hope this helps.

Dr Hale's book "medication and mother's milk" has good info on medications and BF compatability. If you have an amazon account you can look at most of the book online here.
    http://www.amazon.com/Medications-Mo...5082062&sr=8-1
    he also has a website here
    http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/lact/
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Hmm, I have an amazon account, but I can't seem to access the book online...
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!