Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constipated 12 month old

Default Constipated 12 month old

Hi all, Looking for help here. My baby is almost a year old (will be on the 27th of this month). She was exclusively breastfed, nothing else, for about 8 months with a gradual intro of solids, mostly fruits and veggies. She is still 95% breastfed and gets maybe an eighth of a cup of solids on a GOOD solids eating day. Her solids consist of mostly fruits and veggies, beans, some chicken and a few oat-only organic cheerios. She weighs 25 pounds, BTW, so is not lacking in the weight department! I find that if I give her any amount of solids at all that she becomes constipated, passing hard stools after several days with much crying and in obvious pain. I give some water but no dairy or juice at all. This is my fourth baby and the others all tolerated solids just fine so this is a new one for me. Here is my dilemma: Do I take her off of all solids and just nurse her? I don't know how long breastmilk is okay for the sole sustenance of a baby. I know it is okay for the first year, for sure, but at what point after that do I become concerned about her solids intake? I don't want to give her juice to artificially force the solids through. I would rather give her just breastmilk. Does anyone have any links to information on this? Thanks in advance for your help,

Carol

Default Re: Constipated 12 month old

I would think its fine to cut back on solids and just nurse when she gets constipated. You can tell by her growth that she is still thriving! Or, if you'd like to coninue with solids, we were able to combat the constipation for my DS with pureed prunes. I mixed some in each day with his oatmeal. Pears and peaches would be the next best foods for dealing with constipation.

And bananas and apples are binding, FYI.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I had the same trouble with dd2. Babylax is good for immediate relief. Pedi GI doc suggested that dd would hold her stools if she feared they would be painful, so she suggested using Miralax to keep the stools soft until dd forgot about the painful stools. We still use it from time to time; dd is a very picky eater. Good luck.