Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how can i tell if my diet is affecting my baby...

Smile how can i tell if my diet is affecting my baby...

hi guys,
    i'm a first time mom and new to this forum
    my sweet little man has had several common symptoms of wheezing, spitting up, congestion, fussing after feedings and rashes...i am so confused b/c i read so many contradicting views...i've cut dairy for several days (didn't see much of a difference) have cut all spicy/acidic foods with an occasional "cheat"...again don't see much of a difference...he developed a rash on his chest and arms and when i went to the pediatrician...he did not think it was a food thing...just a normal reaction to something his skin has come in contact with (even though i have not changed detergents, soaps, etc)
    so my million dollar question is:
    in your experience, did changing your diet alleviate the issues i mentioned above? what does a rash from "food allergy" look like?
    i am more than happy to be on a limited diet...but i don't know if it's doing anything??
    side note: he's on zantac for acid reflux
    thank you for your help

mommy of vincent
    5 weeks old

Default Re: how can i tell if my diet is affecting my baby...

There's a food allergies section if you want to look around in there. I think you have to be off dairy for a few weeks to see if it changes anything.

Do you think it could be heat rash? I know that I overdressed my daughter when she was a baby and she would get heat rash from it.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Default Re: how can i tell if my diet is affecting my baby...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*texasmomma13 View Post
    my sweet little man has had several common symptoms of wheezing, spitting up, congestion, fussing after feedings and rashes
    First off, wheezing is NOT something to let your ped brush aside. I would be extremely concerned with that. Most peds are not familiar enough with food allergies to recognize the symptoms, and there are even some who do not think LO's can react to the food proteins in breastmilk.

IME, DS did react to my milk and it started right at 6-7 weeks of age. He had eczema, green mucousy bloody stools, vomiting (not just reflux spit up-I washed two loads of spit rags a day several times a week), congestion, extreme bouts of fussiness and what I later realized were hives. My ped had no clue it was food related and misdiagnosed us for months.

Just to be safe, I would look into an appointment with a pediatric allergist-especially since you mentioned wheezing. The next time a "rash" comes up, take photos of it for the allergist. Start a food diary and note any correlations if your LO seems to react. If it is dairy, it can take several weeks to clear from your system, and then a little more time to clear from your LO's system. Plus, you DO have to eliminate all "trace" amounts of dairy and you cannot cheat.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln