Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how does he eat so much?!

Default how does he eat so much?!

My DS2 is 5 months and is at daycare 10hours 630am-430pm). I send him with 18oz (2 - 4oz and 2 - 5oz) and now they are saying he needs one more 4-5oz bottle. That's way above the "rule" of 1-1.5oz an hour he is away from me. I nurse him at 530am and am not able to nurse as we get to DC. I typically pick him up around 4-430pm and nurse when we get home, about 430-445pm.

Is this OK or should I be concerned?

I am glad I have a big stash in the freezer because I only get about 17oz after pumping 4x a day.

Default Re: how does he eat so much?!

I don't have any advice but wanted to share that I have the same issue. My DS is 9 months old but I am packing 4 8oz bottles for him while he is at daycre for 9 hours. In addition to all that, he eats 4 4oz containers/jars of baby food! I have no idea where he is putting it, he only weighs 18lbs! He exceeds the general rule of 1 to 1.5 ounces per hour by far! We have been having to supplement with formula because I am only able to pump at most 10ounces. Unfortunately I don't have a stash in the freezer We used it all up.

Mommy to
    Blake 12/06/91
    Tori 12/24/97
    Little angel 01/05/09 who is now in heaven
    Slater 12/27/09
    And now AGAIN!!!

Yes, I started all over

and until current LO was 9 1/2 months. Not ing at the moment due to pregnancy but will as soon as new LO gets here.

Do you think he is hungry and needs that extra bottle? Does he seem frantic to eat when you get home? Or do you think it's possible that he's just getting fussy and they want to give him a bottle to get him to stop being fussy?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

When is the last bottle? Can they hold off a little and you can nurse baby AT DAY CARE?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

It's very very common for DCP to over feed breastfed kids. It's based on the fact that Formula fed kids eat more as they get older and bottle fed children even bottle fed breast babies will learn to drink until a bottle is empty. But a child doesn't need more while away from you than a child would actually drink from your breast at any feed. Do you think at any given feed your child is actually getting 6oz of milk from you??? Because that seems really unlikely to me. I think your child is being overfed. Just because a child WILL drink that much from a bottle doesn't mean that they need that much. I would not try to send in more or supplement. I would take the amount you are sending and break it up into smaller bottles and insist that your DCP feed your child smaller amounts more often.

Way too lazy for formula