Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 13 month old wont take the bottle

Default 13 month old wont take the bottle

hello,
    i'm a full time working mom and I pump about 8 ounces a day for my baby at home. Until now, she drank pumped milk perfectly fine with her nanny and dad. However now, she refuses. They are happy if she gets 3 oz down. What should I do? Any advise?

Default Re: 13 month old wont take the bottle

sounds like what my baby did right around that age. Have nanny and dad keep offering it throughout the day, try in a cup or sippy cup. if not, just freeze what she refuses and hope in a few weeks or months she is more than happy to eat it. Otherwise maybe you can make breastmilk smoothies, pudding or other stuff to get your milk in her.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

My little boy is also 13 months old and I also work full-time. He has never taken a bottle. He does drink my milk from a straw now (although not real well). The other thing me and my Mom do is mix my breastmilk with cereal and mash bananas up with it and he loves it and is still getting hydrated.

Ah thank you. I keep mixing the left overs with oatmeal but feel bad thinking it loses the nutrition that way. Is that a myth or at that point should i not worry too much :-)

My daughter also started refusing bottles a 13 months. After a year old it's ok if your baby doesn't have breastmilk while she's away from you. You can even stop pumping if you want and it won't affect your supply when you are with her. Lots of moms stop pumping at 12 months. As long as you are nursing when you are together (at least 3-4 times per day) she is getting plenty and it's not necessary to substitute other sources like cow's milk.

Is she eating solids? That should be fine to sustain her while you are away, with a little water to keep her hydrated.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

oh my, stop pumping?? music to my ears! she nurses thru the nite but i am afraid i'll lose supply if I stopped. Should I REALLY stop pumping? It's OK? I dont need much convincing but would love to hear more comments. thanks so much moms.

At this point it's totally up to you. Your supply will be fine if you stop pumping now, so that's not a concern. And if baby is not taking bottles, that's not really a concern either.

I stopped pumping when my daughter started refusing bottles at 13 mos and continued nursing her until she was 2 when my supply dropped due to pregnancy. I never had any supply issues when I was with her, even on weekends when I nursed during the day.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I pump weaned at 14 months and was so happy . My son is still nursing and will be 3 next month, so your supply is well established at this point. Continue to nurse while together and give healthy food while apart with either water or if you do cow's milk fine then you can offer that.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I pump weaned at around 14 months too. Still nursing here at 23 months.

Oh - and we do water and cow's milk. The milk ramped up recently since my milk has disappeared due to pregnancy. But we limit it to 16 ounces or less a day or she would only drink the milk and not eat many solids.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months