Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 month old not nursing enough

Default 8 month old not nursing enough

My 8 month old isn't nursing as much anymore, and I'm concerned.

He will nurse first thing in the morning, before his 9 a.m. nap, then again before his 1 p.m. nap, then he will not nurse again before bedtime at 7 p.m. I offer every day around 4 p.m., but he refuses. So he goes for a 6 hour stretch without nursing every day.

He still wakes up usually twice in the night and I will nurse him back to sleep. He is eating three meals of solids a day, and I offer sips of water. He's a big boy, about 22 lb, and he is very healthy.

Any suggestions? Do you think he's getting enough? Should I try and get him to drink some breastmilk or formula in a sippy cup (he won't take a bottle) at 4 p.m.? Should I be pumping then to increase my decreasing supply? I feel very frustrated and concerned, but since he's healthy, maybe there is no need for my concern!

Default Re: 8 month old not nursing enough

I am in the same boat, now that my son is a little over 9 months. At first, I thought it was because he was teething, but I think he is overly distracted and really into his solids.

At eight months, the sitter started giving him a sippy cup because he wouldn't take a bottle. She just had to watch him very carefully and control the sips. That worked until he started taking a bottle again. (But when I'm with him, I don't give him a sippie or bottle.)

Now, I'm thinking we are going to have to sneak in the milk in the form of pop cycles and in his cereal (although he doesn't care for oatmeal as much). We are going to see his doctor today; if we get good advice, I will pass it along.

Good luck!
    Queen-Chuchi

My Son, Born: 12-08-2010, Weighed: 7lbs. 10oz. Measured: 20.5 inches
    Now: 9 months 2 weeks. Weight: 19lbs. 12oz. Length: 30.5in. Head Circ. 17.75in.

Let me know if the doctor has any advice!

As I mentioned, he is quite healthy and seems to be gaining weight, but I am just concerned b/c he isn't nursing as often (or as much), and my milk supply is definitely dwindling (at least my boobs seem way smaller ... which I'm assuming is a sign of decreased milk production ... I only pump about every third day just for his oatmeal milk, so I can't really use that as a gauge).

My little guy is teething, also. But he has been on this same schedule (only nursing 4x a day) for over a month, so I'm not sure if the teething has anything to do w/ it. I've tried cutting down solids, but he's still not interested in nursing more often.

Good luck! Let me know what you find out.

Hi,

The doctor basically told me not to freak out because he was probably more interested in being a social eater in the high chair than lying still breastfeeding (That's true for my son who has the attention span of a squirrel these days.). She also said he was getting more than I was pumping because he was a more efficient eater, which is a mantra I'm sure you've heard. She also suggested that he could have a sippie cup of breast milk with his meals or milk in his cereal (which I haven't been doing because I wanted to leave at least three bottles).

Anyway, if you're worried about your supply, I would pump more often than every other third day. I pump before I go to bed, in the middle of the night, usually three hours before he wakes up (4a.m. for me) and two to three times when I'm at work. He drinks really well in the early morning and before he goes to bed.

I guess the bottom line is that if our little ones are growing, then they're fine.

Hope this helps.
    Queen-Chuchi

Thanks for the info -- good to know! He nursed at 4 p.m. yesterday, which made me feel better. I think every day is just going to be a little different, and I'm going to have to go with the flow. I'm pretty sure he's getting enough b/c he is growing really well.

I do need to pump more often ... esp. on the days when he goes a long stretch without nursing. I just hate that darn pump

Good luck! Take care.

Yeah, Good luck to you too!

One of the moms suggested that I nurse him in a dark room and cut back on solids. I am going to try both and see how that goes. Tonight, he didn't even bother to nurse himself to sleep. I was so bummed out that I had to pump (especially because I'm not producing 5oz. anymore. ).

But, we'll see. Good luck again! The pumping will get easier. I have a Medella, and it does a good job.
    Queen-Chuchi

with PP. 8 to 10 months is a very common time for moms to feel like thier LOs are not nursing as much. They are just so busy at that time. Keep offering, try to nurse in a dark, quiet room, don't overdo the solids and enjoy your busy little people. They are so much fun.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )