Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Not Nursing as Much

Default Baby Not Nursing as Much

Dear Friends,

First of all, I didn't think we would make it this far, and that is thanks to all your help. My son is over nine months and thus far, he has been a champion nurser, nursing every three hours or less.

However, lately, he gets really distracted and doesn't nurse as often. He used to wake up at night one or two times, but now, he sleeps through the night. He nurses maybe every four hours. I leave him about 15 to 18 ounces, with the sitter, but he doesn't always take the three bottles. He has been eating solids three times a day over a month and a half now, but that never got in the way of his frequent nursing or bottle drinking. He is also teething, so that may affect his nursing. And I got my first full blown period recently.

The problem is that I am no longer producing 3-5 ounces when I pump. I get at most 1 or 3 if that. I am trying to pump for longer time periods, but nothing comes out.

Any advice would be useful.

Thank you,
    Queen-Chuchi

My Son, Born: 12-08-2010, Weighed: 7lbs. 10oz. Measured: 20.5 inches
    Now: 9 months 2 weeks. Weight: 19lbs. 12oz. Length: 30.5in. Head Circ. 17.75in.

Default Re: Baby Not Nursing as Much

Sounds like a lot of things are going on for your LO right now. Getting AF back can definitly affect your supply. two things I would suggest if you want your LO to nurse more are- try nursing in a quiet dark area. this will minimize distractions and hopefully help him nurse longer. The other thing I would suggest is to cut back on the solids. Solids before one are just for fun. No need to push 3 full meals right now. It is better to take it slow so that solids don't replace BM for the first year. At 9 months my LO had just started to get 2 solid meals a day and he was a big boy.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Thank you, I will try both. I am hoping I didn't mess up my supply too much, but the drop was so sudden.
    Queen-Chuchi

My Son, Born: 12-08-2010, Weighed: 7lbs. 10oz. Measured: 20.5 inches
    Now: 9 months 2 weeks. Weight: 19lbs. 12oz. Length: 30.5in. Head Circ. 17.75in.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*queen-chuchi View Post
    Thank you, I will try both. I am hoping I didn't mess up my supply too much, but the drop was so sudden.
    I would think it was AF then. It should come back up as your cycle goes along. I think some women have had success with calcium/magnesium suppliments during AF.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )