Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eliminating Night Feedings?

Default Eliminating Night Feedings?

I just went to my 6 month check up and my pediatrician told me I needed to eliminate her night feedings because at her age she does not need them. She only wakes up and nurses for about 20 minuets and goes right back to sleep, and she only does it twice a night, sometimes only once. I am really concerned because we just got over a month long nursing strike, and she only really nurses at night. I can only feed her on one side, so I would have to wake up and pump in the middle of the night anyways, which I really would prefer not to do anymore. She is a great sleeper, and I understand that she needs to learn to "get herself to sleep". I have tried the methods of patting and comfort and not nursing and she only wakes up fully and gets very angry. She does not cry it out, we have tried before and she can go for a while. I strongly feel that she will eventually sleep on her own, and I need to follow my motherly instinct. But I do not want to create a problem if this is something I must go through, please help!

Default Re: Eliminating Night Feedings?

You're doing everything right. If you are happy, and she's happy, then take the doctor's advice as unwanted parenting advice since it doesn't have a medical basis. There is a ton of research out there showing that CIO is harmful for infants. I really don't believe the nonsense about creating bad habits. We were always responsive to DS1, fed him multiple times at night, let him sleep in our bed when we needed, and since he has been 2.5 he has been a great and independent sleeper. Being responsive creates good habits, do what feels right to you.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I'm with Beth.

I don't believe you can "spoil" a child by giving them too much of their basic needs!

1. EBF babies will not over eat, so you can't overfeed them.
    2. How can loving-holding, cuddling, hugging too much be harmful?

To me spoiling means to give children too much of things that are not needs, with out teaching them the value of them, and that they are to be worked for/earned. IE giving too many toys, too many name brand clothes, etc.

I personally would seek out a dr that agreed with my own bf beliefs more. Go with your instincts!

I was told by a dr the same thing with DD1, when she would wake up in the night for a bottle (I eped). I didn't listen to it, cause I was not going to let DD CIO when she was obviously hungry! I just couldn't do that! I sure hope I'm not old some day, where I can't move, or talk, and sitting there starving, and no one will feed me. I believe in you reap what you sew, and I always tell DH, if you allow DD's to CIO now, they may let you CIO when you're old and senile! lol haha I don't want ot be CIO'ing when I'm old and senile! lol haha

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Samiha View Post
    You're doing everything right. If you are happy, and she's happy, then take the doctor's advice as unwanted parenting advice since it doesn't have a medical basis. There is a ton of research out there showing that CIO is harmful for infants. I really don't believe the nonsense about creating bad habits. We were always responsive to DS1, fed him multiple times at night, let him sleep in our bed when we needed, and since he has been 2.5 he has been a great and independent sleeper. Being responsive creates good habits, do what feels right to you.
    AMEN!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Agreed....you are responding to your baby and creating trust between the two of you. My toddler nurses throughout the night (average 6 times probably) and I am not worried about any bad habits, she just wants to reconnect with me so to speak. I am not saying to lie to your doctor but I just never offer that she nurses throughout the night because I don't really want his advice on it. It works for us and we're all happy with it.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Thanks guys! I just got this horrible feeling reading some of the methods of teaching sleep habits. My LO obviously has a need, and for me to ignore it and "teach" them that I will not respond would seem to create distrust indeed. I cannot understand the logic, other than convenience to the parents in something like that. But at the cost of your child's emotional well being?

*When my DD was just a new babe, she would scream and I knew something was wrong. She had to be held upright at all times and hated being laid on her back. Everyone told me to just put her down and let her cry then also. The doctor and LC said that she's just fussy and would grow out of it. Only when she started solids did they realize she had silent reflux. The wonders of breast milk kept her acids in check previously, but still upsets me that CIO is the answer for so many things, and as stated earlier, you are "spoiling" your child by doing what you can to comfort them.
    Last edited by @llli*javabee; September 20th, 2010 at 07:59 AM. Reason: add more info

I agree with the PP's. I wish my baby 9 month old were eating at night because, now, I have to wake myself up to pump, and the machine isn't as efficient.

You should definitely follow your instincts, and feed your baby if she wants to be fed.

Good luck!

Jesu
    Queen-Chuchi

My Son, Born: 12-08-2010, Weighed: 7lbs. 10oz. Measured: 20.5 inches
    Now: 9 months 2 weeks. Weight: 19lbs. 12oz. Length: 30.5in. Head Circ. 17.75in.