Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: new to breastfeeding....need advice

Default new to breastfeeding....need advice

i am a mother of 3. i didn't breastfeed my oldest 2 children for different reason and i regret that now. i had it set in my mind that no matter what i was breastfeeding this time around. i had my angel in july 2010 and have been breastfeeding exclusively since. but its coming time for me to get back to college and i need to pump my milk. i only pump about 2 or 3 ounces.....but she takes more than that! i dont know how i am going to keep her satisfied while i am away with just a few 2-3 ounce bottles.

and one more thing...i cannot get her to sit still!! about a month ago she would sit calmly and nurse now she tugs and pulls while she nurses....how can i get her to stop this? i've tried several different positions but nothing works.

Default Re: new to breastfeeding....need advice

How long will you be away from your LO? how often are you going to be able to pump? the recommendation is to pump at least every 2 to 3 hours. What kind of pump are you using? how long are you pumping for? Breastfeed babies need 1 to 1.5 oz every hour you are away so it probably isn't as much as you think. This link has some more info.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    However it is really easy to overfeed a baby with a bottle so check out this link for some tips to make sure that doesn't happen.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    As for the sitting still I will let you know when I figure it out. No really your LO is just getting more interested in the world around her so that is totally normal. Try nursing in a dark, quiet area to minimize distractions should help.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

RE: Not sitting still. My DS flails around sometimes while nursing. If there are no distractions and he's doing it, I try burping him and often that is the issue. Now that he's older he seems to swallow even more air in the beginning of a feed, especially if he's wound up.

If he keeps it up and pulls off over and over, I end the nursing session, but I don't comment on it or make a big deal, I just assume he's done. If seems to really want nurse again, I let him and he's often calmer. And sometimes he just wants to play with his food.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ah.hh.bh.lh View Post
    and one more thing...i cannot get her to sit still!! about a month ago she would sit calmly and nurse now she tugs and pulls while she nurses....how can i get her to stop this? i've tried several different positions but nothing works.
    My little one is also a July 2010 baby, and she's been doing the same thing this month. It seems like she's checking out what's possible with my nipple. If she's not hurting me, I just ignore it and she soon settles down because she wants the milk more than she wants to experiment. If she's hurting me, I say "ow" and take her off my breast. I sit her up on my lap and make eye contact with her. (She always looks at me very seriously. It cracks me up.) I then put her back in position and let her nurse. So far, I've never had to take her off more than twice. She's also doing it alot less now. I doubt she's 'learning' anything at 2 1/2 months, but I figure I'm conditioning her not to do it if she wants to eat.

It is really annoying when she does it, so I sympathize. I hope you find what works for your little one. Good luck!

i am going to be away from 3pm to 9pm. i bought an electronic playtex pump and have been using it for about 3 weeks. and i usually try to pump for about as long as she feeds.

thank you all for your advice....she was calm today but i think that was because she got her first set of shots but she has managed a few laughs and smiles afterwards!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ah.hh.bh.lh View Post
    i had it set in my mind that no matter what i was breastfeeding this time around. i had my angel in july 2010 and have been breastfeeding exclusively since.
    Awesome I love the 'no matter what'!!! that is a great attitude to have!
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep

Not sure on the pumping thing cause I am blessed and can stay at home with mine.

However the moving around thing sounds so familiar. My LO will be 1 tomorrow and doesn't like to lie still either. I bought a nursing necklace and it helps out alot if you don't want to buy something and have bigger 'party' necklaces already try wearing one especially a bright/multi colored one and it may distract enough to help LO lie still!!!
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

i tried the necklace.....SHE LOVES IT!!!! she now keeps focused on it while nursing, trying to play with it.

have you tried fenugreek? its all natural. i took just 1 pill a day and it greatly increased my milk supply. also drink more water are my 2 bits of advice!

thanks laurak!! no susy ive never heard of fenugreek.