Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Really big baby???

Red face Really big baby???

My DS is 3 months old and he's very big for his age. He's in the 95th percentile for weight and length. He's got rolls and a pudgy belly. Everyone tells me this is normal but of course I'm worried he's TOO big. He's currently 16lbs or better, he was 9lbs at birth.

He's EBF. I use BF to sometimes comfort him and to get him to sleep in addition to regular feeds. He feeds about every 2-3 hours during the day and sleeps through night no problem.

I know I've read it's not possible to overfeed a breastfed baby - is that really true??? If he cries and he's got a clean diaper, isn't too warm/cold, isn't tired, won't burp, I offer the breast. He NEVER refuses to feed.

Is this ok???

Default Re: Really big baby???

I think he is fine, my son was also 16 lbs around 3 months, he was hugely fat and very cute! Now at a year old he is a lot thinner at 20 lbs. He just got really big really fast but then thinned out as he began crawling and now walking. I have heard that breastfed babies get bigger quicker then thin out, but I sadly don't have a link on it.

Don't worry! It sounds like he is doing great! Give yourself a pat on the back, all that weight he is gaining was from loving nutrition from mommy!
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

As my mother recently reminded me, a baby who is comfort nursing isn't getting the same amount of milk as a baby who is really pulling and hungry nursing. I don't think you need to worry. Babies come in different sizes. Heck, despite what our slightly obsessed society would have you think, people come in different sizes. You know for a fact he's eating healthy food and getting enough exercise, so he's just the size he's meant to be. (Plus, if he's in the 95th percentile for both weight and height, then he's proportional, right?)

Yup, perfectly normal, and don't worry about overfeeding. My LO is 10.5 months and I've always nursed him for comfort, on-demand, never denied him. He was 97th percentile for awhile and had adorable fat rolls. It is normal for BF babies to be bigger the first half of their first year and then slow down near the end of their first year. DS2 is 75th percentile now and is really thinning out. I still feed him on demand though, he's just following a normal pattern for BF babies.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Just to make you feel better my little guy was 20 lbs at 4 months and he was EBF. Babies come in all sizes but it seems to make us worry when they are on either end of the spectrum. Just keep doing what you are doing- sounds fine to me.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Thanks all. I feel better about his little rolls and chubby cheeks now! He's already nursing much less than in the beginning and becoming more active, so he'll probably thin out. I know better than to compare, but my friends baby is 3 days younger than mine and probably half his weight.

Now that that's resolved, what will I worry about today??

Another fatty baby over here- DD2 is 18 lbs at 4 months. My 4 year old was the same way and is now tall and slender. And my neighbor's kids- all EBF- were all 20 lbs at 4 months. She said "They had the triple rolls on their arms." Now all 4 of her kids are tall and skinny. Like "Feed that child, he looks hungry!" skinny.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"