Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I am having surgery tuesday and LO is not weaned

Default I am having surgery tuesday and LO is not weaned

My LO is 19 months old. On Tuesday I am having surgery on a broken elbow and I am worried about how I am going to handle nursing LO.

It is outpatient surgery but I think the first 24 hours they won't let me nurse since I'll be coming off anesthesia and on pain medication. I don't know what to do or how to get through it with LO.

I don't want to wean him, I want to keep nursing him.

Does anybody have any ideas please on how I can get through those 24 hours with LO after surgery? Has anyone gone through anything like this? A

Default Re: I am having surgery tuesday and LO is not weaned

Info about breastfeeding after surgery HERE

You should ask what specific meds they are going to use then do some research.

Does the hospital have any LC on staff that you can ask?

If not here is a great resource: http://infantrisk.org/

From what I understand - usually after the anesthesia wears off mom usually is okay to nurse.

from the Kellymom link:

General anesthesia should not affect breastfeeding. You can safely nurse once you are awake and alert enough to hold your baby. By that time, the amount of medication in your bloodstream is low enough that the amounts in your milk would not be significant. The point at which you wake up after general anesthesia is the point where enough of the drug has left your system that it no longer has an effect. In addition, pediatric surgeries require anesthesia - and that is a more serious exposure than through mom's milk. Mom might want to nurse just before the procedure in case she's out for a while or too groggy to function normally for a bit. See the articles and references below for more detailed information.

With an arm surgery you may need to think about positions for your LO that wont hurt your arm. Fortunately with an older LO you've got lots of options for how they can sit.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Info about breastfeeding after surgery HERE

You should ask what specific meds they are going to use then do some research.

Does the hospital have any LC on staff that you can ask?

If not here is a great resource: http://infantrisk.org/

From what I understand - usually after the anesthesia wears off mom usually is okay to nurse.

from the Kellymom link:

With an arm surgery you may need to think about positions for your LO that wont hurt your arm. Fortunately with an older LO you've got lots of options for how they can sit.
    Thank you, this link is wonderful, I printed out there list and I'll take it to my appt tomorrow. I'm a little scared, I guess thats normal before surgery.

Hope that helps and hope your surgery and recovery go well.

I forgot to add - in addition to asking about the anesthesia meds, also ask what pain meds they plan to have you on after the surgery.

INFO ON PAIN MEDS HERE

Remember - baby can have things like tylenol (acetaminophen) & ibuprofen.

Depending on your personal pain threshold - you might be able to avoid some of the more heavy-duty (and less safe for baby) pain medications.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Good luck with surgery tomorrow.

I had two major surgeries while nursing DS3. He was less than a week for the first one and 3 weeks for the second one. Just tell your anesthesiologist that you are nursing. As soon as you can safetly hold your LO you can nurse. I was asked to pump and dump once after surgery and I did because I was extremely full and LO never could have latched on if I didn't but I didn't HAVE to.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Also, after your lo is over a year, they are good at processing any medications that do get into their systems from your milk and the volume they take in is less. Generally, there isn't much concern about what meds you are taking after your lo is a year.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.