Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: uneven supply, low supply. lopsided and stressed!

Default uneven supply, low supply. lopsided and stressed!

Hi ladies,
    I know it is normal to have one breast produce more than the other but my low producer is turning into a no producer. I'm also struggling to pump enough for my 8 month old while at work. I wonder if I can try to increase supply in my underproducing side without sacrificing overall supply. I understand that normally the way to even out supply a bit is by offering the low producing breast more but I'm afraid that I'll end up losing supply from my trooper breast if I do this! Any advice?
    Thanks in advance!

P.S. My motivation is part supply oriented and part vanity. I am so, so lopsided.

Default Re: uneven supply, low supply. lopsided and stressed!

So interested to hear responses to this. My "good" boob makes so much more, like sometimes 4 oz from the right side to 1/2 oz to the left. Based on engorgement type feelings sometimes I feel like I have oversupply on the right and undersupply on the left, despite my best efforts!

Although, lately, because DD favors rightie so much more, and leftie is SOO much harder to pump from (takes 7 or more minutes of stimulation with a pump just to get a let down) I've been getting clogged ducts on the poor producer leftie! How to even out??
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

I had this issue too. I bf daughter more from the "smaller" side to stimulate it to produce more. On the "over producing" side, I would just manually express to get some relief (avoid clogged ducts) and let it know that it was "over-doing". IMO, supply isn't really affected it's just balanced out, KWIM? You might get less out of one, but more out of the other therefore, I don't think you're supply would drop or anything.
    For me, it took a while for my body to adjust but it did. It's like letting air out of one tire, and adding more to the other
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

@ooky, my right is the champ too! And that is often my pumping ratio as well... leftie is almost closed for business.
    I guess I would like to put more air in one tire without taking any out of the other tire. Is this possible? If I lose any supply from my "good" breast I won't have enough to leave for her while I'm at work. I eek by every day as it is and am constantly facing the possibility of supplementing, which I would prefer not to do.
    Thanks!

I am also severely lopsided. I had a low supply anyways in lefty and then got a bout of mastitis that has nearly killed it. On a good day I average about 1/2 an ounce, but righty will give me 8oz on average every 4 hours! I look at it as a blessing that I can still feed my baby. I will sacrifice the even boobs for my nursing relationship. She went on a month long strike and I had to pump exclusively for a month. Because I was on a strict schedule, it actually built my supply up vs when she nurses alone. You may want to pull a new mommy schedule and pump in between feedings to build it up. Dont worry about the lopsidedness while your nursing, you still are at 8 months, be proud!

Thanks!

Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

I found this forum and used the help form just over a week ago because I had exactly this problem and was frustrated. (The one weird twist was that my daughter actually nursed more easily at the lesser producing breast, because the other side drowned her.) The answer I got was mostly to not worry about it and lots of people are lopsided. And to start her on the fuller side, if that made things easier for her. So, you could do that.

I really wasn't comfortable with the full cup size difference, and I worried about the long term implications despite the assurances. In the end, I took my mother's advice to start her on the lesser producing side several times before switching sides. (Mom BFd and was an LLL member in her day.) I generally ended up nursing on that side twice and then switching, because the other side started feeling engorged at that point. (She usually doesn't take the other side after nursing, no matter which side I start her on. I do always offer it, though.) After four days, both sides felt huge and were spraying milk in her face. She wasn't very happy with me. But, after a couple more days, everything balanced out and now both are producing alot but not drowning her. We're now back to alternating with every nursing. I definitely didn't lose my milk supply, and even though its more balanced I think I actually have more milk after all.

It may matter, though, that she's 2 1/2 mos and so were still nursing quite frequently. So, my caveat is that this was contrary to the advice I received from LLL. I really don't know whether I risked losing my good supply or not. But, I'm much more comfortable now. And not just aesthetically - I no longer feel like one side is engorged all the time and nursing is much more pleasant when she's not always ticked about one side trying to drown her.