Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

View Poll Results: Do you pump a full bottle's worth in a single session?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (usually)

14 56.00%
  • No (not usually)

11 44.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you pump a bottle's worth in a session?

Default Re: Do you pump a bottle's worth in a session?

Depending on how often my DS has been up nursing during the night (and, consequently, how full I am in the morning), I can often pump enough for 1 bottle plus a bit more towards a second (1 or 2 oz). If I delay my pumping session until later in the day, I can usually get about 1 1/2 bottles from a single session.

Am I remembering right that you're using an Ameda PY or Lansinoh double electric? I had been using the PY, and it was crapping out on me, so I've been renting a Symphony pump. I LOVE the Symphony. I'm getting much better output and I find it to be so comfortable, plus it's very quiet when I'm on conference calls Anyway, it really might be worth renting a pump to see if you get better output.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

I was using a lansinoh double yes. Lately ive been using my swing and doing one side at a time. But my swing has even been acting funny. It's expensive to rent. But I'm thinking of biting the bullet and doing so n
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

My son takes 5 oz in a bottle and I never get enough from a pump. Unfortunately we supplement however many oz we fall short with formula as my supply is low.

Normally at 11pm and 5 am I get between 2.5 and 3 oz each. Throughout the rest of the day I get about 1 oz and am lucky to get 2oz.

My morning session would often produce two bottles, but the afternoon session would often be like, 2/3 of one bottle! Like a PP, I also had OS starting out, so that probably worked in my favor. I also found it was helpful for me to spend a little longer pumping, do breast compressions, and try to get a second letdown. If I was patient and took my time, I often got 1.5 to 2 times as much milk. But everyone's different - I think a lot has to do with your "storage capacity." Moo.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    My morning session would often produce two bottles, but the afternoon session would often be like, 2/3 of one bottle! Like a PP, I also had OS starting out, so that probably worked in my favor. I also found it was helpful for me to spend a little longer pumping, do breast compressions, and try to get a second letdown. If I was patient and took my time, I often got 1.5 to 2 times as much milk. But everyone's different - I think a lot has to do with your "storage capacity." Moo.
    with Naomi I could pump 6oz from my right breast and 4oz from my left in one session. I only pumped when we'd go out for dinner or something since she wasn't in daycare or anything. With Gavin I have never been able to pump more than 2 or at most 3 oz out of my right breast. And if I get 3oz out of my right I never get more than 1.5oz out of the left (yet when I pump two from the right I can often get 2 from the left). Basically the most I can get is 4oz in one session. And that's happening less and less as my supply drops.

So I know for fact my storage capacity is higher than my supply. I am capable of holding much more. I just don't make as much as I did with Naomi.

On a side note it makes my heart ache that I'm struggling to get 8oz in two or three pumping sessions a day now when I could so easily get 10 oz in one session with Naomi.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babylove View Post
    And that's happening less and less as my supply drops.
    I would definitely consider a better pump. The Swing is only one side, right? I always pump noticeably more total when I do both sides at once, plus that way I can devote a little more time and get that second letdown? Just an idea. I'm sorry you're having a hard time!! Hang in there - so many women feel "tapped out" and unable to keep up around the seven to ten month point (for a bunch of different reasons), but in a couple months, your baby will likely eat more solids, and his intake of milk may drop a bit. It's hard to keep your supply up when you are pumping a lot instead of nursing. You could just rent a good pump and see if it makes a difference ... if it does, go another month, etc.? Take it one day at a time.

(ETA: Saw your other poll, and based on what I'm hearing from you here, I voted rent a very high grade pump for a few months rather than buy used. That way, you're out less if it doesn't do anything for you, but also, a rental hospital grade should work even better than a PISA, and if it helps you recover your supply, you can keep renting and I think it would be worth it!)
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; September 21st, 2010 at 04:28 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.