Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: side lying position

Default side lying position

Okay so after nearly 10 wks of trying to get this position i don't think my LO and I will ever figure it out!!

Whenever we try to nurse lying down he always pops off and im constantly helping him back on and the way I am laying is just so very comfortable and then i usually get a cramp! We've tried so many positions and nothing seems to work right for us...I've propped him up on a pillow, on my arm, on nothing and still it's uncomfortable for the both of us. With all the time spent trying to get both of us comfortable and to get him to stay latched on we are both awake 110% and I might as well of just sat up in bed and held him normally!

Is there any suggestions on how to make this work...it would be great if we could figure it out so i could get more sleep at night!

Thanks!!

Default Re: side lying position

Do you always try to put his head on your arm?

I do better with my arm above my DD's head. I also use a Snoogle pillow behind me to make it more comfy.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I LOVE side lying!! It is by far my favorite position, even during the day. It gives me a reason to lay down with my angel and relax. She I do use a blanket to press against her back so that she stays close to me and that tends to stop all the popping off. I notice that if she isn't close enough she tries too hard to look at me and then if she looks at me too much she starts to talk and laugh at my breast.... I know she is only 5 months old, but it drives me nuts when she talks with her mouth full!

Try using something against the baby's back, it really does help with sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lewsmommy View Post
    I notice that if she isn't close enough she tries too hard to look at me and then if she looks at me too much she starts to talk and laugh at my breast.... I know she is only 5 months old, but it drives me nuts when she talks with her mouth full!
    I have to giggle at this one because my lil' one does this same exact thing... besides feeling really really really awkward, it's quite hilarious!

I love the side lying position too. My son and I mastered it but not until 3 months...I always use my arm and I find it sore on my back so a pillow does work...and he has his head slightly tilted up so I can see into his eyes if he is looking upwards....tonight while nursing he layed there and softly stroked my cheek....
    SAHM to:

Jamey Sweetpea 5years old
    Michael Davy 2 years old
    Angel baby-09/11
    And Pregnant with #3! EDD OCT 12th

Married my high school sweetheart 09/29/07

Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

So we tried again last night/this morning...we had a little bit more success, I tried bunching the blankets up behind the baby to prop him up on his side and that seemed to work! I'm sure a pillow would have worked a lot better but DH was hogging the extra pillow that I use when nursing in bed DH was cuddled up behind me so he was my support which was better than nothing! I think that next time I will try and be better prepared to have support for me and better support for LO and it may work!

The other thing I noticed though is that he kept scooting himself up and I had to keep pulling him down because when I am laying down my nipple and breast is all facing down so when he scoots way up then I have to pull my nipple up to him and its not comfortable for me and he looks like he is straining to try and keep a hold of it! When he is so high up then he blocks his little nose and cant breath so he pops off and gasps for air!! maybe just a little bit more practice will make perfect! I sure hope we master it though...I love sleeeeep!!
    Baby boy Caps 10 Jul 10

Birthday: 7lb 6oz
    2months: 13lb 9oz
    4months: 16lb 8oz
    6months: 18lb 2oz
    9months: 22lbs

I at work on demand at home to make up for lost time while I'm at work!!

feel like a and lovin it!

Can you use your arm to help keep LO from scooting up too high? Not sure how comfortable that would be but worth a try.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

I struggled at first, too. It just didn't feel natural. But, boy am I glad we found what works for us, because I'm with you on the loving sleep! For us, the pillows ended up being too much hassle and arranging them woke us both up. I found that I actually lean forward a little, and I pull my top leg forward so my weight is partially supported on my knee. The baby is then on top of my arm and my breast comes down to her. Oh, and I need two pillows under my head, the lower of which comes down under my shoulders just a little, so everything is the right height. I just toss that pillow in to place when I sit up to pick her up out of her basket, and then on the floor by the bed when I wake up and put her back in her basket. (We don't co-sleep all night, so I typically wake up shortly after she finishes nursing and put her back in her bed. I couldn't sleep like that for hours.)

this was actually the first position i mastered with my angel. i find it great to use during the night feedings. i usually put a line of pillows behind me, one under my head, and lay her head on a small folded blanket right even with my breast...she attaches easier with this position also.