Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: trying to relactate, need better pump~~suggestions

Default trying to relactate, need better pump~~suggestions

I posted in another spot, but thought that I would try to get more help in this forum as well:

I am trying to relactate and was unsuccessful with the herbal side of the house, so I went to my doctor and got Reglan. She says it is a one shot thing, so if it doesn't work, then it wasn't meant to be.....with that, my pump just isn't up to par for the work that needs to be done. My OB said that I needed more or less, an industrial strength one, to "suck me dry". Hahaha

Soooo, I need to know what is a recommended, industrial strength pump to get to try to get this ball rolling. I have been able to "milk" myself and have gotten more out then I have with my pump the past 6 weeks, so I am thinking that the Reglan is working. Now I just need to get a better pump. I don't want to rent, I would prefer to buy.

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Default Re: trying to relactate, need better pump~~suggestions

Which pump do you currently own?
    20 months usually 5 times a day ---------- Enjoy
    Wife to my DH, Ryan
    First time mom to DS born at home on 7/25/10

i am relactating too, after six months, although i am only making about 1 oz a day that is drastic improvement, i was comp dry! i am using domperidone, 30 mg 3 x per day, and a Ameda I i got it from a local WIC clinic, they are very helpful to bf's and i am pumping every 3 hours, i wish you luck, heard bad things about reglan. see if you can get domp, my OB was really helpfull. i also get more when i express by hand, so i think the key is just emptying the breast! do what works!
    Mirembe,

Happily married to DH since 6-11-05
    Mother to DS1,
    born 3-5-07
    bw 6lbs 2 oz
    and DS2,
    born 2-28-10
    bw 6lbs 2 oz
    DD #3 ,
    Born 12-21-2011
    Bw 7lbs 7 oz

and new to lll and loving it!

Sorry, I have an Evenflo, a relatively cheaper model. I went online and looked around and found that Medela is highly recommended. As a result, I bought the Medela Freestyle (hands free version). Hope that it works! If I don't get better results then I may rent, but we are moving soon (husband is military) so wanted to just keep it with me.

I don't have experience with relactation but wanted to send you lots of strength and a big for working at it - it must be hard! I have a Medela (Pump in Style) and it works well for me. And my body typically doesn't respond well to a pump. Hopefully your freestyle works for you!

Good luck!

For relactating it might be worth it to rent a hospital grade pump for a few weeks. They're the most effective, and could help kick start a supply that you could then maintain with the Freestyle.

Good luck!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Definitely look into a hospital grade pump like the Medela Symphony or Lactina.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Agree with Karen - the Medelas are good but still can't compare with renting a hospital-grade pump.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.