Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: trying to relactate, need better pump~~suggestions

Default trying to relactate, need better pump~~suggestions

I am trying to relactate and was unsuccessful with the herbal side of the house, so I went to my doctor and got Reglan. She says it is a one shot thing, so if it doesn't work, then it wasn't meant to be.....with that, my pump just isn't up to par for the work that needs to be done. My OB said that I needed more or less, an industrial strength one, to "suck me dry". Hahaha

Soooo, I need to know what is a recommended, industrial strength pump to get to try to get this ball rolling. I have been able to "milk" myself and have gotten more out then I have with my pump the past 6 weeks, so I am thinking that the Reglan is working. Now I just need to get a better pump. I don't want to rent, I would prefer to buy.

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Default Re: trying to relactate, need better pump~~suggestions

I personally would rent a hospital-grade pump like the Medela Lactina. If you rent, you can get a thousand dollar machine for about the price of a Starbuck's latte per day.

If you decide to buy, I suggest a Medela Pump in Style Advanced. I think that's about the best commercially-available pump you can buy.

And I don't for a moment buy your doc's "it is a one shot thing, so if it doesn't work, then it wasn't meant to be" thing. That's bull. You can increase milk supply at any time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

THanks... bought the Medela Freestyle (the hands free model). Hope it does the trick.

I hope so, too! Good luck, Mama.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

lots of info on how to pump here:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBrelactation.html