Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 month old not latching correctly

Default 6 month old not latching correctly

Hi, I'm new here, but have been reading these forums since my little girl was born.

I'm breastfeeding, and it's been such a joy for the last few months. Since she was about 3 months old I started to really enjoy bfing. The last week or so she's not latching correctly. She opens her mouth really wide but then she lets my nipple slip out and she holds on to the tip only. It doesn't hurt too bad, but it's uncomfortable. My nipples are red, a little sensitive and itchy because she seems to take the top layer of skin off. It's hard to describe exactly where the friction is, kind of at the top of the nipple, on the ouside, just before the areola starts. Does that make sense?

What can I do? I've been trying to hold my breast and put more of the nipple into her mouth when latching, and I relatch her every so often. That's not helping, she just let's it slip out again. She lets go often to look around or squirm in my arms and then starts nursing again. But I guess that's normal for her age.

Any advice would be helpful.
    Tia
    V's Mom

Default Re: 6 month old not latching correctly

Hi. Welcome to the forum and congrats on your lo..They tend to get distracted at this age..I would suggest a nursing necklace, it will be something for them to look at and grab at the same time. You can make it yourself, in my case dh bought mine's. You can also order them online. There is another lady {lori} who makes them and sells them here also, if you look in the for sale section you should find a thread of her or in the search type in nursing necklace and that should help you as well.. I hope that it get's better, I know the challenge as my lo and I haven't had it so easy either. Keep up the good work..

HTH
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

does she do it at every feeding?? austin gets really distracted, but just now for the first time, even though there was nothing to distract him....he was doing what you were describing! like, just taking sips or something...it was strange and i was sitting here thinking....if he were to do this all the time id get pretty sore!! that was the first time it lasted his whole feeding....he did burp really loud right after so i thought maybe he was just uncomfortable....
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Hi guys, thanks for your input. I think it's getting better. She's still not taking enough of the nipple into her mouth, but it's not as uncomfortable anymore. We went in to the ped's today for a shot and he checked her mouth. I was there with her earlier this week because I noticed white spots on lo's tongue, he checked and said it was nothing. Today though, it had spread to her lips and inside of her cheeks, so he checked again and said it was mild oral thrush. He just gave her something for it right there. Some purple stuff that stained everything! Anyway, maybe it's due to the thrush that she's not latching right. Maybe. I dunno.

Anyway, I boiled all her chewy toys today, and her pacifier. I hope it's not all over the place and she gets reinfected.

I'll try a necklace, sounds like a good idea. I have some plastic beads and things that would be ok for her to play with, so I'll try and make one myself. See if it works.

Thanks again!
    E