Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just returned to work yesterday, help!

Default Just returned to work yesterday, help!

In the past, my DD has taken a bottle of formula from me, and my husband. I was able to pump only 4 oz for her to have the first day I returned to work. She refused the bottle yesterday and would not take it. My DH brought her out to my work during lunch time, but that CANNOT always happen. It was a fluke that he could do it on my first day back to work. And then she did not eat anything till I got home from work again.
    1. How can I get her to take a bottle of breastmilk?
    2. My nipples are bruised from pumping ONE DAY, and I am only able to get 1 ounce MAX out of each breast at each pumping session at work. After my pumping session I still feel like theres some in there. How can I get the max out? My friend said she was able to get 5-6 ounces per session for her babies in the past. Today we are both sick, so we didn't have another day of her refusal to eat, while sick, she needs to stay hydrated... I REALLY REALLY don't want to return to work if I know she wont take the bottle. I don't want to anywyas, but this makes it even more hard!
    Thanks for your help.
    OH, I have a PISA and am able to pump every 2 hrs at work, and the first day, got 2 ounces first session, nursed at lunch, next session only got 1 ounce, then came home to nurse. I have 2 ounces for next day I go back, because the 1 ounce I pumped in the afternoon disappeared. I don't have a CLUE where it went. The bag was empty, the cooler and everything in it were dry.

Oh! She is 14 weeks tomorrow.
    Last edited by @llli*oliviasmommy; September 16th, 2010 at 07:10 PM.

Default Re: Just returned to work yesterday, help!

Just a few questions- is your pump new? do you have the right size horns? they are not one size fits all and that can make a big difference. How long are you pumping for? Also you don't need to turn the suction up too high- pumping should not hurt.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

going back to work is hard, sorry mama.

so i have the same pump you do. after the initial let down speed, do you press the yellow button again to resume that speed if milk isn't coming out? The two speeds are for let down and expression. I find that if i alternate frequently between the two speeds i'm able to get more than one let down. Most of my milk comes between 6-8 minutes, that's usually after two cycles through the let down speed.

Even if you're not getting a lot when you're pumping, keep pumping that frequently. i think you'll start to get more.

If I still feel full after about ten minutes of pumping and not much has come out, I hand express for a while. massage, shake, get the milk moving! and then i go back to the pump for another five minutes.

good luck!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

imho, you won't get much if you're not comfortable with pumping. did you practice before you went to work? if you're that upset about returning to work (i feel your pain), that stress can also effect let-down...
    i'm Kim, married to my DH since 8-3-02.
    this is my second attempt to bf after a breast reduction.
    Andrew Gage 6-5-04 ff
    John Michael 2-8-08 ff and bf until 7 mos
    Lillian Gianna 6-25-10 ebf since 11-12-10 thanks to the support and knowledge from this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmom View Post
    Just a few questions- is your pump new? do you have the right size horns? they are not one size fits all and that can make a big difference. How long are you pumping for? Also you don't need to turn the suction up too high- pumping should not hurt.
    My pump is as new as my dd. i brought it home from the hospital with me. how do i know what size breast shield i need? i am assuming thats what a horn is... i pump for as long as it takes, i stop when the milk stops coming out. it seems to only take about 15 minutes, total time. that's pumping one side first, then switching to the other.

Have you not tried double pumping? If you have the Pump In Style Advanced, that is possible. You will get more milk out if you pump longer... so you should probably aim for pumping 15 minutes total with double pumping.

You may also have the suction turned up too high. I never pumped past 25% on the suction. The horns should not be pulling skin from around your areola into the horn, and your nipples should also not be scraping on the sides. I had to use the largest size they make for a while and then decreased it when my milk evened out.

How many hours are you away from your baby during the day?

My daughter refused bottles too mama - and it was so stressful. But she did finally accept them. I was going to change my work schedule so that I could go nurse her once in the middle of the day if she wouldn't take them at all but she eventually started drinking between 5 and 8 ounces in a 10.5 hour period away from me.

You said that she drank formula in the past... perhaps you have a lipase issue. You can read about that in a sticky at the top of the pumping or the storing milk section. I had that problem and didn't realize it until Lilah was a year old. Lipase is a digestive enzyme in breast milk that becomes activated in some women's expressed milk after a certain length of time. For me it was about 2 days in the fridge and immediately upon freezing. You can scald the milk fairly easily with a bottle warmer, and that's all mentioned in that lipase thread.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    after the initial let down speed, do you press the yellow button again to resume that speed if milk isn't coming out?
    I didnt know you could press it to make it go back to the slower speed, I have been turning it off and then back on again to restart the slower speed.

So, What about my other issue? How can I get dd to take a bottle?

For us, with the bottle.... our sitter just offered it to her every two hours. If she started to get upset, she would take it away. The sitter only put 2 ounces in so that not very much would get wasted. After several weeks she would start to take it.

Have you read the lipase stuff?
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Have you not tried double pumping? If you have the Pump In Style Advanced, that is possible. You will get more milk out if you pump longer... so you should probably aim for pumping 15 minutes total with double pumping.
    I have tried double pumping in the past, but I was doing it that way at work because I dont have easy access to a sink. I will try double pumping next time.

You may also have the suction turned up too high. I never pumped past 25% on the suction. The horns should not be pulling skin from around your areola into the horn, and your nipples should also not be scraping on the sides. I had to use the largest size they make for a while and then decreased it when my milk evened out..
    I will turn the suction dopwn a bit then. I have been using the highest setting. And, according to your statement, my horn may be too big. it pulls in the whole areola too.

How many hours are you away from your baby during the day?.
    working four 8's now, but my boss wants me to do five 6's instead. Probably starting next week.

My daughter refused bottles too mama.
    How long did this go on? How did your dcp get her to take it?

You said that she drank formula in the past... perhaps you have a lipase issue.
    It doesn't smell to me...? And I smell everything still!

Thanks!!!!

My dcp got Lilah to take it just by patience and respecting her. She would offer her the bottle, if Lilah cried, she would put it away. Then she would offer it again a short time later. It took about a month. But, Lilah was only there 2 hours a day the first week, 4 hours a day the second week, 6 hours a day the third week and then 10.5 hours a day the fourth week. I also only worked three days a week until she was 7 months old.

Lilah nursed a lot at night. What I told myself to get through it was that some people's babies sleep through the night 8 or 10 hours without eating. So Lilah could survive that long if she wanted to continue to refuse the bottles...

The other thing we did, which is generally not recommended, was to put the fastest flow nipples on the bottle so that some of the milk would get in there without too much trouble. I was not worried about her having a bottle preference.

And the babysitter cup fed her for one week. She poured the milk into a tiny bowl and then poured the milk into Lilah's mouth. Lilah didn't like that either, but she had no choice but to swallow the milk. Another option may be syringe feeding. It will take a long time, but will get milk into the child.

It's a stressful thing to deal with.
    Tracie

Mommy to