Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much expressed milk should my 7 weeks old drink?

Default How much expressed milk should my 7 weeks old drink?

Hi.. I have a question: my 7 weeks old is currently drinking 2 oz every 1.5 to 2 hrs or expressed breast milk. Her pediatrician said I shouldn't increase the amount until she is 2.5 month old (then increase to 3 oz). I'm tired of feeding every 1.5 hrs. She is usually super hungry by 1.5 hrs. She is my first baby so I have zero experience. How about other 7 weeks old out there? Are you feeding your baby more oz and lesser times?? Thanks

Default Re: How much expressed milk should my 7 weeks old drink?

Wow, great advice from your pediatrician! 2.5 oz every 1.5 hours is a totally normal amount for a breastfed baby to drink, and a totally normal feeding frequency. I know it's tiring to feed every 90 minutes, but remember that infant tummies are tiny and breastmilk digests fast. If you increased your baby's bottles to 3 oz, there's a very good chance that she'd just spit up the last .5 oz and still be hungry 90 minutes later!

Are you nursing, or pumping and bottle feeding? If it's the latter, would you like help in getting your baby to the breast? It's generally a lot less challenging to nurse than to pump, in the long term.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: How much expressed milk should my 7 weeks old drink?

I didn't pump and feed (only the boob for my baby) but my LO ate every 1.5 to 2 hours at 7 weeks. Sometimes more! And when he hit his 8 week growth spurt he went a whole week nursing every hour at night for 30 minutes. I think in general they go by weight though. My pedi said a baby weighing 8 lbs would need 2-3 ounces per pound so that would be 16 to 24 ounces a day. I must say I am amazed that you are hanging in there with the pumping! That is such a sacrifice for your LO!! It is double the work!! Keep it up mama!!
    Mother to 3...Kaylen 15, Clint 12, and Carter 11 months!!