Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Very gassy baby with green stools... oversupply, imbalance... OALD? confused...

Default Very gassy baby with green stools... oversupply, imbalance... OALD? confused...

My 8 week old has been suffering from very painful gas for the past couple weeks and his poops have been green since about week 2-3, and almost "soapy" looking when first coming out. Our doctor keeps saying that his digestive system is just immature and that gassinses or normal in infants... but it can not be normal to allow a baby to suffer through what he is feeling. I can hear and even feel the bubbles in his tummy while he is crying/grunting and trying to push it out. And his poops are definitely EXPLOSIVE!!!

I stumbled upon a few articles regarding foremilk/hindmilk imbalance or oversupply and OALD, and he appears to have a lot of the symptoms related to these conditions, however I'm a bit confused as they all seem to be tied together as one condition. Do they all necessarily come hand-in-hand? I mean, if I have OALD, does that mean that I must also have oversupply and imbalance?

And what exactly defines an "over-active letdown"? LO seems to handle my let-down well. There is no choking/gagging, he has the regular deep sucks/swallows, although I can sometimes hear what sounds like the milk hitting his stomach... Loud noises with every gulp. This usually only lasts for the first couple swallows, and maybe only once every other day do I witness this. If LO happens to lose his latch during my let-down, I can see the milk flowing out, but it flows straight out and down my nipple. There is not enough force to "squirt" it to any distance (unless I do a breast compression, of course). Would this in any way classify as OALD?

I do typically only offer 1 side per feeding. The initial supply will keep him suckling for about 4-5 minutes, then I will get 1 or possibly even 2 more let-downs per feed. Each subsequent let-down produces a strong flow for only about 30 seconds though. For the past couple days he has started to get really frustrated when the flow slows down, so if I can't get another let-down on the same side, I will switch him to the other side. (usually after the 2nd let-down and he is usually scratching and pulling at whatever he can get his hands on by this point!!! )

A typical feeding only lasts about 10-15 minutes (he does have 1 or 2 longer sessions throughout the day). He has gone from 6lbs to 10lbs in 8 weeks, so I'm not concerned about the quantity that he is getting.

In between feedings, I do often feel about 2-3 letdowns occur, but i rarely leak large amounts (except at night when period between feedings may be longer or sometimes from the breast that wasn't offered at the last feeding.) I would in no way define my supply as "overabundant"... right?

: for the novel, but with a lack of support from my healthcare provider and no other nursing mothers around me, I am hoping somebody can shed some light on the situation for me and my LO. I hate to see him suffering and would really like to get to the bottom of this.

Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

***EDIT: Completely (I believe) unrelated, and will be discussin in a separate post but thought I would share here to give a full picture: LO does receive formula on occasion. Maybe a bottle every 3 days. When he gets a bottle, he only takes about 1-1/2 to 2 oz per feeding. Only once has he taken 4 oz and that was a HUGE surprise. ***
    Last edited by @llli*micahsmommy; September 16th, 2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Addt'l info (possibly irrelevent)

Default Re: Very gassy baby with green stools... oversupply, imbalance... OALD? confused...

Mama I had an extremely gassy baby too. It's so hard to watch them be in pain. Askdrsears.com has some really great suggestions on how to help baby relieve gas. I think we used kjust about every one of his suggestions and it really helped.

It sounds to me like you probably do have OALD. Not all babes forcefully gag and choke but they are still swallowing more air because of how quickly they need to keep up. Do you burp him between letdowns? I found this was really helpful with gas in the long run because if it doesn't come up and out the mouth it will travel through his little system.

Also you describe the soapy green poops. That is also common with OALD because of the surge of foremilk. Have you tried breast compressions while nursing to encourage hindmilk to come down?
    Green explosive poop could also indicate a food allergy. Have you noticed it gets worse with certain foods?
    All that being said, my DS had the frothy green poops too and someone told me once that GREEN is not always an indication of a problem which was nice to hear. So it was the frothiness and the gas I concentrated on trying to figure out.
    Now I'm just rambling. Sorry.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Default Re: Very gassy baby with green stools... oversupply, imbalance... OALD? confused...

Askdrsears.com has some really great suggestions on how to help baby relieve gas.
    I will definitely check it out... thanks!

Do you burp him between letdowns?
    I haven't in the past, unless I hear him swalloing air. I will definitely try this though. It would great if such a simple change could relieve his pain!

Have you tried breast compressions while nursing to encourage hindmilk to come down?
    I use compressions if he starts "nibbling" or if he starts getting frustrated by the flow. Should I also use compressions when there is a good flow?

Green explosive poop could also indicate a food allergy. Have you noticed it gets worse with certain foods?
    Not really... he just seems uncomfortable all the time, regardless of what I eat. If other methods don't work though, I will definitely have to start eliminating things from my diet.

someone told me once that GREEN is not always an indication of a problem
    I was also told that unless it is black, white or bloody, it is not a concern. I too am more concerned about the consistancy (he used to have a lot of mucous) and level of discomfort it is causing LO. If I could just get him to stop hurting!!!

Now I'm just rambling. Sorry.
    No need to apologize. I have learned that some of the most useful/comforting information comes from rambles! Thanks hun... I really do appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice and I will definitely be using it! Thanks again!

This link has some more info on oversupply/OALD, hindmilk/foremilk and decoding infant poop (ok never thought I would write that )
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fo...-hindmilk.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/general/poop.html
    Also just curious is there a reason that you are giving him formula?
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Also just curious is there a reason that you are giving him formula?
    If I have something that takes me away from LO, or times that we go to places where I can not nurse. I understand some people maybe comfortable with it, but I am not. I have never been successful with pumping, even though I have a double electric Medela... I can never seem to get more than 2 oz from BOTH breasts combined, regardless of how long I pump. And the more I pump, the more milk comes in and then I have issues with oversupply.

Thanks for the links!!!

I have the very same issues with my 9 week old. He's gained 7 pounds in the last 9 weeks. He's in the 90 - 95th percentile for weight and height.

The most helpful website I have found in helping me diagnose my supply is http://www.drjen4kids.com/breastfeeding/oversupply.htm
    My baby has every single one of those symptoms.
    His pediatrician diagnosed him with reflux and we put him on medicine. I had never heard such screaming from him when he was trying to nurse on the zantac. He was in SUCH horrible pain. Needless to say I was not thrilled about continuing a medicine causing my baby such pain so I went in search of another answer. I happened to stumble across the website above looking for answers to reflux. She basically said that babies who are breastfed rarely have reflux, their mother has an over supply. So I am working to decrease my supply. Unfortunately, my 9 week old who has been sleeping 5 to 8 hours a night has been up every couple hours now *I think* because he was hungry. But if it makes the congestion go away, the colicky behavior, gas and fighting at the breast while feeding, then it will be hopefully worth it, and he will go back to his normal routine.
    I am looking for more ways to make my baby comfortable, so if others have answers please post!

Thanks!