Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Glucosamine?

Default Glucosamine?

Anyone out there take this w/ or w/o chondroitin (sp) and have information about it?
    I can't seem to find much on its safety (and/or efficacy) with BFing... (even on my beloved Dr Hales site )

I have to do something... I have issues with my knees and now with my ankles ever since DS was born... I think this pregnancy really took its tool on my body... and am not looking forward to the winter and I am afraid it will get worse as it usually does

TIA!!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: Glucosamine?

I found several sources which talk about breastfeeding and glucosamine, although it appears they just don't know what the effects are, if any.

KellyMom.com: Dr. Hale's text lists glucosamine as category L3 or "moderately safe" while breastfeeding. It is unlikely that the baby would receive an amount from breastfeeding that would be clinically significant. No pediatric concerns have been noted from breastmilk exposure. See his book for more information. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...ml#Glucosamine

MedlinePlus: Glucosamine is not recommended during pregnancy or breastfeeding due to lack of scientific evidence. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...ucosamine.html

MayoClinic.com: Glucosamine is not recommended during pregnancy or breastfeeding due to lack of scientific evidence. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/glu...nt-glucosamine

NursingCenter.com: Women who are breastfeeding and children should also avoid using glucosamine because its effects in those populations are unknown. http://www.nursingcenter.com/library...icle_ID=483250
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

does heat help? My mom uses thoose rice bags you heat in the microwave, that and a long soak in a hot tub in the morning before she gets moving for the day.

a long soak in a what!?!?! a long anything is not possible these days LOL

though I love and appreciate the suggestion I think that will have to be put aside until DS is older...

but heat usually doesn't help I wish I knew what would... pain meds dont help either thats why I figured it was more of a degenerative issue... the only doc I've been to about it just wanted to rx pain meds I wanna get to the source please!!! not just treat symptoms... sometimes I hate docs

anyhow - I'll check out the links that were posted! thanks so much!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.