Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: fresh vs frozen

Question fresh vs frozen

All other things being equal, if I have plenty of both, is it better to serve fresh or frozen milk or is there no difference? Does Fresh have more antibodies? Does Frozen loose antibodies or other stuff from freezing?

I do not have an lipase issue so there is not heating before freezing.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: fresh vs frozen

yup, fresh is better!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Fresh is better, but a lot of moms will rotate their stash and give older frozen milk, replacing it with fresh milk to freeze every once in a while to keep it from going to waste.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Frozen loses the white blood cells that help with infection-fighting. However, unless baby's diet is entirely frozen milk, having a couple of bottles of frozen and half dozen direct nursing sessions in same 24 hours will probably result in perfectly adequate immunity protection.

My DS likes the taste of fresh better (no lipase issue, but frozen is frozen). But I do put Friday's pumped milk into the freezer and pull from my freezer stash for Monday, so that I am "refreshing" my freezer stash and moving forward the oldest date of the milk in there.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Yes - fresh is better.

I do the same as above - during the week baby gets at day care fresh EBM that I pumped the day before. What I pump on Friday goes into the freezer. On Mondays I pull from the OLDEST part of freezer stash for bottles.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)