Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Maxolon Tablets

Default Maxolon Tablets

First off, I would like to say thank you to everyone here. The support I have received on this forum has really helped being a first time mom and I appreciate all the tips and advice.

I am currently at a stump in the road with breast feeding.

My 9 week old was born tongue tied which was causing him not to feed properly and was diagnosed as failure to thrive at 3 1/2 weeks. At that time the Dr. had us top him up with 2 - 3 oz of formula after every feed. When I would pump we would get between 1 and 3 oz of formula depending on the time of day.

Needless to say my milk supply has reduced and the Dr gave me Maxolon tablets to take to try and increase it. Does anyone have any experience in this?

Once my milk supply starts to come back in how do I know if my son is getting enough milk from the breast or if I will still need to top him up with formula and how much?

I go back to work in 3 weeks and want to be able to have a supply for him too which is putting a little stress on my shoulders at the same time as what ever I manage to pump he consumes the same day and I am not able to save anything.

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Maxolon Tablets

I am sorry you are going through all of this!!! First off, why not have his frenulum clipped? This can do wonders for the BFing relationship and, therefore, supply because the latch improves significantly. To increase your supply, why not trying to pump after feedings or add in a pump session or two during the day? My best time is within an hour or so of putting DD down for the night. I don't get much at the pump session because DD has just fed, but it definitely stimulates a response by producing more milk after a few days! I have never had to take the Maxolon tablets, so sorry I can not help you there. The only free way to tell if baby is getting enough is by wet and dirty diapers, otherwise, you can purchase a baby scale (for roughly $60) and weigh DS before and after feedings...the difference in weight should be what he has taken in while BFing (before supplementing with formula). Also, my DD would not take the formula once my supply came in as she was getting enough BM from me (doc insisted I supplement until my milk came in because of jaundice). I wish you the best of luck!

Default Re: Maxolon Tablets

Generally just keep putting baby at breast, you will know they have had enough when they pop off your breast, and when you offer them the breast again they refuse it.

I agree about getting the tongue clipped. It will save so much grief.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~