Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let-down/reflux/abundant supply

Default Let-down/reflux/abundant supply

I have a 3week 2day old girl and I need some more advice on BF. My older daughter had a hard time with my let-down and she also had reflux. My new daughter is having a lot more problems with all of it. I do have a forceful let-down and am almost always engorged, I infact already have a freezer full of frozen milk.

My newest daughter is displaying signs of reflux, but is not responding as well to the meds, which make me think it is my let-down and supply issue. She is also eating every 2 hrs like clockwork and sometimes sooner.

I have read the advice on pulling her off the breast when the let-down happens, and will implement that at her next feeding. But is there any other advice that you can give? She does not have the green poops yet, but all the other symptoms are dead on.

Default Re: Let-down/reflux/abundant supply

One more thing I can think of just off the top of my head for OALD is to nurse in a semi reclining position so that the force of gravity is working against your let down instead of with it. Also block feeding will help to reduce oversupply which it sounds like you have. Are you pumping now? how often? This link has some more info.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Thank you for the reply. At night, I nurse her in a reclined position and it does not help at all, she chokes a ton that way. I always nurse her where her head is "above" her legs because of the reflux action. Yes, I am pumping when I been overly engorged. Whenever I sleep or even nap, my production goes way up, so in the morning I "have to" pump the other side in which is she not feeding because it is so painful. And almost everyday I have to pump the leftover milk in my breast in which she feeds from because she does not drain it, but that is mainly in the morning only and is only once or twice. I usually have two bags of milk each about 4oz each that I am putting in the freezer.

As a side thought, instead of letting the let-down milk go into a cloth, what if I manually pumped that milk until it was less forceful and then put her back onto the breast to finish?
    Last edited by @llli*willowonyx; September 16th, 2010 at 10:44 AM.

Welcome!

She is also eating every 2 hrs like clockwork and sometimes sooner.
    This is entirely normal. Breastmilk digests fast (in about 90 minutes) and infant tummies are tiny. Many babies eat every 90 minutes or so, sometimes throughout their entire first year.

Yes, I am pumping when I been overly engorged.
    How much are you pumping? Until you're empty? Or just enough to relieve the discomfort? When coping with rapid letdown and/or oversupply, you want to pump the minimum. Your goal should be to maintain comfort, but to leave as much milk in the breast as possible, since when your body senses that milk is sitting in the breast, it decreases supply.

As a side thought, instead of letting the let-down milk go into a cloth, what if I manually pumped that milk until it was less forceful and then put her back onto the breast to finish?
    Nope, this sounds like a good idea but it's not. Pumping means additional stimulation, but additional stimulation will create additional supply. Letting the milk flow into a cloth achieves the same result- a slower flow- without boosting supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, I was pumping the other side as much as I could and getting probably 3oz. Okay, I will not do that anymore, I will just pump out a little for comfort.

I did not get this message until after the last feeding where I pumped out 3/4oz of let-down. However, it was one of the few times she emptied the breast in one feeding.

Ladies,

Ok, so after one night/morning of not pumping the "extra" milk and trying to let the forceful let-down into a cloth, I have got to say I am so uncomfortable.....I am so engorged at every feeding.

Please tell me this will pass!!!!!

It will! The more you put u with it, the faster your supply will decrease. Meanwhile, try some peppermint tea in your tum and some cold cabbage leaves in your bra to treat the engorgement.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    It will! The more you put u with it, the faster your supply will decrease. Meanwhile, try some peppermint tea in your tum and some cold cabbage leaves in your bra to treat the engorgement.
    Thanks. Also, is it normal for her to be extremely frustrated and fussy while feeding while I am like this? Her cottage cheese spit-ups are non-stop now....does it have to do with the high milk sugar content---like milk intolerance?

Frequent spit-up, gassiness, and fussiness can be a result of fast letdowns and oversupply. However, they can also be normal! In general, when spit-up occurs without pain (i.e. the baby cries or arches her back in discomfort when spitting up), the reflux is just a laundry problem, not a health problem.

Either way, my understanding is that spitting up is not caused by the high lactose content of human milk. It's caused by the relatively poor muscle tone of the sphincters which help keep stomach contents in the stomach.

Well, I kept myself very engorged for 36 hrs to the put of soooooo much pain, I pumped one side while feeding her and since then I have not had an over abundant supply, it is a perfect supply. So, it "seems" that that 36 hrs helped reset things.

She still has reflux issues and at her one month appt tomorrow I am sure my doctor will want to try a PPI because I do not think the Zantac is working as well as it could be (at least not like it did when my older daughter took it).