Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm not sure where to put this question: bone density

Default I'm not sure where to put this question: bone density

I'm exclusively breastfeeding a 7 month old (happily! and with great advice from many smart women here!).

But, I've had a cold for two weeks, including a pretty bad cough for the past 3-4 days. After many really difficult coughing fits, I now have a pretty strong pain on the right side of my back, along the bottom two ribs.

I thought I had read somewhere that breastfeeding can impact bone density. Is it possible that I could have bruised or cracked a rib from the coughing? Does anyone have any knowledge in this area? Or a resource for me to take a look at?

Default Re: I'm not sure where to put this question: bone density

Sorry you are feeling bad. I would think a pulled muscle is much more likely than a cracked rib, but if you are concerned you should definitely talk with your doctor.

Breastfeeding can lower bone density temporarily, but it comes back up after you are done nursing and actually in the long run seems to help protect against osteoporosis. Exercise is supposed to help keep your bones healthy while nursing, but of course that doesn't help you at the moment if you are already injured.

I hope you feel better soon!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Rather then cracked rib, I would be more leaning towards you could have plurousy (sp) or possibly pneumonia. Maybe you should have your lungs checked out?

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Sorry you are feeling bad. I would think a pulled muscle is much more likely than a cracked rib, but if you are concerned you should definitely talk with your doctor.
    I did this last winter due to a severe cough.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much for your responses. I decided to wait a bit to see if things improved. After 3 weeks and one day, I woke this morning with no sore throat, no headache, no cough ... no symptoms! I think I'm finally better from the cold/virus.

But, the pain in my side is still there. In fact, my husband hugged me this morning and I squealed in pain. There's one particular spot that is super tender, right near my ribs. I don't know if a muscle strain would still be so tender after a week. It doesn't really hurt to carry/move - only when it is touched, or when I cough (which I'm not doing anymore).

I hate being in this position of uncertainty about seeing the doctor. Will she think I'm crazy? Should I wait another week and see if it improves? Ugh.

Sorry
    I would go to a doctor.
    Nursing certainly does impact bone density - I broke 4 bones in my foot just now, and the doctor is certain that its because of the bone density issue that comes with nursing.
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

I would go to the dr too.

however, I will say if in fact it is broken ribs, there is nothing they can do for broken ribs. They will just tape you up. That's about it.

But, ribs is the one kind of bone (I believe the only) that you can even have taken out and they will grow back. Ribs regenerate wonderfully. But, they do hurt when regenerating. A lot of blood in the rib bones, and that can be painful.

I've had several of my ribs removed (bone graphing) and put into my back for dislocated/crushed/herniated disk I had. They grew back, but it was a painful year. If yours is only cracked/broke won't be as painful probably for as long as mine was (since mine was actually growing back from being removed), but will be painful for a bit, but like I said they will only tape them..........sadly I grew up in a very violent/alcoholic family. my uncles were always drunk and falling down the stairs breaking ribs. The drs only ever taped them and said that was all they could do.

But, I would still go to the dr, just to be sure what is happening.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~