Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breast feeding...PLEASE HELP!!

Unhappy breast feeding...PLEASE HELP!!

is it normal for a 6-7 day old baby to want to breast feed almost non stop? could this be a sign that i am not producing enough or that she is not effectively sucking? i am quite stressed out and doubting my abilities to breast feed...wanting to give up already. how bad would it be to introduce a pacifier?

Default Re: breast feeding...PLEASE HELP!!

no, not a sign that you're not making enough. babies that young need to suck ALL.THE.TIME. it will get easier, but for now, just nestle in and expect your LO to be feeding non stop. It's more relaxing for you if you can sleep with your little one and just expect not to be able do much else. totally normal.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

when would you say it begins to get easier cause this is hard! so glad to hear it is normal though.

Totally normal momma, relax and breathe. Your baby is likely going through a growth spurt which usually happens a lot in the early days and then less often as the months go by. During a growth spurt your baby can seem to nurse around the clock (and they probably are). Here is a link that explains it all better than I can. Your baby is at the perfect age for a growth spurt.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

Quote:

"Common times for growth spurts are during the first few days at home and around 7-10 days, 2-3 weeks, 4-6 weeks, 3 months, 4 months, 6 months and 9 months (more or less). Babies don't read calendars, however, so your baby may do things differently."

and

Quote:

"Growth spurts usually last 2-3 days, but sometimes last a week or so. "

The important thing to remember is that for the first three months or so you are establishing supply so it is vital to feed on demand. I know this can be taxing. Try to set yourself up for a nursing marathon. Get some help around the house if you can. Set up a nursing "nest" where you gather all the things you will need to be comfortable nursing for several hours without having to get up. You'll save all your precious energy for feeding your baby. Gather things like remotes, snacks, water, magazines, phones, laptop, books, diapers, change of clothes for baby and anything else you can think of and put it all where you will be able to rest when your baby rests. This way you don't have to keep getting up for stuff.

Good luck!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Nonpstop nursing is totally normal with such a young baby. As long as diaper output is normal (see this link: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html), then milk input is normal, too.

I would not introduce the pacifier at this time, for 2 reasons. First, babies suck differently on pacis than they do on the breast, so introducing a paci can interfere with a baby's suckling skills. Second, some babies forget to nurse enough when they're sucking on a paci. Waiting until 3-4 weeks to introduce the paci is best.

Breastfeeding does get easier. Much, much, much easier. But when the turnaround point is differs from mama to mama. It could happen tomorrow. It could take a few weeks- for many mamas, things improve markedly around 6 weeks. Or, in the absolute worst case (like if you have terribly cracked nipples or something else physically wrong), it could take months. But it WILL turn around. As babies grow, everything gets better. And they grow fast!

Aside from frequent feedings, are you having any other problems with nursing? Any pain? What do the baby's poops look like?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yup, totally normal. I know when you have a newborn it seems like they will be that way forever, and when things aren't going totally smoothly it feels like it will never end (I have totally been there)! But trust me, your baby will grow up before you know it. Like mommal said, every baby is different so we can't tell you when this phase will end, but I promise it will. Hang in there. Breastfeeding is so worth it.

It has always helped me to catch up on my reading.. I know it sounds silly but I try to start a series of books at this time.. I know I will be nursing a lot and reading relaxes you so time passses a little less noticable and you are not so focused on nursing. It does get easier in time.
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Thanks for the encouragement ladies. It helps so much to know that this is normal and will eventually pass. It's still tough, but I am able to get in a better frame of mind today.

@mommal, her poops are the color and consistency they should be (yellow). However, she poops usually only twice a day. We have discussed this with the pediatrician and she has been seen by her. The pediatrician said she looks very healthy and no signs of jaundice. Her weight was also okay. So, the doctor told us not to stress too much about the number of poops as long as they were yellow and as long as she still looks and acts healthy. I honestly still do worry about it a bit, though.

Another question: I don't feel like i have ever experienced breast engorgement. Is this normal? my breasts have not gotten hard as i have heard described before. my milk should be in by now, correct? Thanks again! So glad I found these message boards!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Breanna.s.Mommy View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement ladies. It helps so much to know that this is normal and will eventually pass. It's still tough, but I am able to get in a better frame of mind today.

Another question: I don't feel like i have ever experienced breast engorgement. Is this normal? my breasts have not gotten hard as i have heard described before. my milk should be in by now, correct? Thanks again! So glad I found these message boards!
    I think everyone can be different and not text book.. I think what you read in books is a guideline.. If you have enough wet diapers and your LO is gaining you have nothing to worry about like your pedi said.. some women feel let down some don't.. I got engorged with my 1 and 2 but my 3rd nothing.
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

her poops are the color and consistency they should be (yellow).
    Perfect!

However, she poops usually only twice a day. We have discussed this with the pediatrician and she has been seen by her. The pediatrician said she looks very healthy and no signs of jaundice. Her weight was also okay. So, the doctor told us not to stress too much about the number of poops as long as they were yellow and as long as she still looks and acts healthy. I honestly still do worry about it a bit, though.
    I can understand why you're a bit worried. It's hard when you read something that says "your baby should be doing x, y, z," and she's not doing it exactly as laid out. But if weight gain and wet diaper output are good, and the doc sees no signs of jaundice, and the poops continue to be yellow, I really don't see a reason for concern. She may just be a less frequent pooper than average right now. Who knows what the future will bring, though? She could pick up in frequency or even slow down.

Another question: I don't feel like i have ever experienced breast engorgement. Is this normal?
    Yes, that's normal. Experiencing rock-hard breasts is not a necessary part of breastfeeding.

my milk should be in by now, correct?
    Yes. And if you're seeing yellow poops, I'm sure it is. One misconception many first-time moms have is that milk supply is something you get once- like a present on Christmas. And that, like a present, you can lose it. But milk supply is more like a garden: tend it (by nursing on demand), and it will flourish. Ignore it (by skipping nursing sessions or supplementing with formula) and it will wither. But even if you did ignore it, and it shrank away, you could increase it at any time by nursing more frequently.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"