Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My book doesn't answer this question

Default My book doesn't answer this question

I was wondering about emptying my milk into a container and putting it into the fridge..so say I pump once in the morning...store the container in the fridge, then pump again that afternoon...can I put the newly pumped milk in with the other milk in the container or will they have to stay seperate?
    SAHM to:

Jamey Sweetpea 5years old
    Michael Davy 2 years old
    Angel baby-09/11
    And Pregnant with #3! EDD OCT 12th

Married my high school sweetheart 09/29/07

Default Re: My book doesn't answer this question

I'm pretty sure you want to only mix when the milk is at the same temp. So mixing warm milk into cooled milk I've been told is not a good idea. BUT after they are both cooled they can be mixed.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

I think the usual rule is that it's fine to mix them as long as neither of them has been frozen. Maybe that's what you were thinking of with the different temps thing Colleen?

ETA: I might be wrong, but FWIW I always pumped right into the refrigerated bottles for my second and third pumping sessions and never had any problems.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Hmm, well I don't know. I'm gonna have to find out......
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

I always heard don't mix fresh milk with chilled milk, just chill it and when they're both refrigerator temp you can mix them.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

But once it's chilled so much of the fat clings to the side of the bottle.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    But once it's chilled so much of the fat clings to the side of the bottle.
    I know!

I mixed fresh milk with chilled milk yesterday....
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Ok. At first I kept finding the same answer which was what I had posted before about making sure to combine them when they are at the same temp. BUT then I found this...

While it was originally thought that a mother had to cool her fresh breastmilk before combining it with previously expressed cooled milk, the latest research now shows that you may pump directly into already refrigerated or cooled milk as long as the milk is added within 24 hours of the first milk expressed. You should then follow the storage recommendations based upon the time and date of the first milk expressed. You may pump directly into milk that has been stored at room temperature as long as you do so within 10 hours. This milk would need to then be used.
    From http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com...ehandling.html

So it would seem fine then. Paige, good point about the fats clinging to the sides when cool. I think you were correct mama.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

hmm I actually disagree with the source but it's but MHO. I always combine milk that is the same temp. It the same theory as tempering eggs so they don't scramble...maybe I'm old school like that though
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I add freshly pumped to chilled, but always only from the same day's pumping. Never had any issues with it. It's not like the freshly pumped is hot, which would be an issue. By the time it's all pumped out and I've dealt with the mechanics of getting it combined with the chilled, the fresh has definitely cooled to lukewarm at best, so there's not really a big temp difference.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.