Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: less of an appetite in the evening..?

Default less of an appetite in the evening..?

Hi there,

The most common thing I've read seems to be that most babies seem to like to nurse the most and the longest in the evenings. My DS however seems to have lost his appetite by late afternoon, and its always a struggle to get him to eat just a few times in the evening before he goes down for the night which is often a good 6 hours before he wakes up. He eats great in the middle of the night and pretty good during the morning and early afternoon.

Just wondering if anyone else's four month old does this? I worry that he just isn't getting enough to eat at night, but he never ever appears hungry - and I am try to feed him ALL THE TIME - even if I leave him for 2.5-3 hours, he still doesn't eat that much. (My DH says Cameron has never been hungry a day in his life because I am always trying to feed him! hehe) His diapers are fine, I just go to bed every night thinking about his poor empty belly

TIA,
    Lisa

Default Re: less of an appetite in the evening..?

Well if he is eating good in the middle of night and in the morning, with good diaper output, I would think everything is all right. My DD does the same (3 mo) She does eat more in the evenings but she sleeps all through the night without waking up to eat and goes longer between feedings in the early morning. And she is growing like a weed. How about yours? If so, I wouldn't worry.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Smile Re: less of an appetite in the evening..?

hi! dd changes her schedule all the time. i agree if poopy output is A1, activity level during day is same & no fever, don't worry

Default Re: less of an appetite in the evening..?

Well its hard to tell how much weight he is gaining, but I am pretty sure he is doing okay. He's always been on the small side of the charts for weight, but he has steadily been gaining about a pound a month.
    Diaper output of course changes day by day too - his worst days there is an obvious decrease in wet diapers (or rather just how 'wet' they are), but usually its still at least 5 a day... and he still poops at least once a day.

It more or less worries me the worst when he barely eats anything before bed and then pulls a 'i'm going to sleep through the night tonight Mommy' nights Like last night - any other Mum would count their lucky stars to have their LO sleep through the night - me, I am up pacing and checking on him b/c I want him to eat LOL...

Lisa