Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: breastfeeding after c-section

Default Re: breastfeeding after c-section

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the My Brest Friend Pillow! In fact, I have a boppy from DD1. But, I seen the My Brest Friend pillow on 19 kids and counting, I figured if she nursed 19 kids and thought it was a good pillow (she said some one suggested it to her after it came out) it was worth trying out. To be honest, I didn't like the boppy for nursing, and with my back problems (I've had two back surgeries) I was skeptical if I would really like it or not. But, I went ahead and bought it. Because of my skepticism I didn't get it out of the package and try it for at least a month! I finally did, and I LOVE it! So much so I saved up money to buy a second one for the car! It's awesome!

Oh and I almost forgot actually the hospital I had DD's at had the My Brest Friend pillow to use if you wanted, but I was so skeptical I didn't even try it at the hospital! I wish I had! Other mom's were though and really liked it!

That being said, I never got DD1 to nurse, I had to EP (pump) for 2 1/2 years. I so wanted the next one to nurse, I did a lot of research before having DD2. I like both The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, and Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers, at the cost of being boo'd out of this board, I will say, I think I almost like Breastfeeding Made Simple a bit better then the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. Both though I loved reading and were hard to put down. Both easy and fun reads. I tried to read another book that was at babies r us on breast feeding and it was so much medical jargon (even though I'm a very sciency, medical knowledgeable person!) it was rather boring, and ho-hum and didn't really keep my interest.

However, The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk, even though very much talks about all the medical/science parts of making milk and breast feeding, it too was a FUN and easy read, what I read of it. (unlike the one I seen at BRU).

So I would highly suggest getting those three books and reading them before going in this time.

I was so desperate to be successful this time, I was reading every thing, and ready to do anything! But, those three, I think are really helpful!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Just wanted to share my experience to hopefully continue to give you hope and ideas.

I too had an unplanned CS and thankfully had NO problems BF'ing. I had wonderful staff and MD that fully supported BF'ing so they brough my baby to me ASAP, which was in the recovery room. Yup. Lots of pillows and really the best hold was the football hold but that was more to do with the shape of my breasts than incisional pain. So I can't recommend the Boppy any more. Love mine!!! But any pillow will help.

DO TAKE your pain pills. Don't tough it out. (Repeating 'cause it's important) You won't get addicted and VERY (read: virtually none) little passes on to the baby.

REST! Don't push yourself.

And again like someone else mentioned: be determined that this is what you want to do. I agree that this could very well be the most important indicator for success. You can do this.

And don't forget: YOU're NOT alone. Find support, locally, now before your little one arrives. This way, IF you do hit any snags, you know exactly where to turn to. WE're always here but it's good to have someone local to help support/answer questions/demonstrate/etc.

And welcome to the group!!
    I'm my firstborn born 1/10/10, as well as , and . What an adventure!!

Falling in love with this forum!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*llcoolcd View Post
    DO TAKE your pain pills. Don't tough it out. (Repeating 'cause it's important) You won't get addicted and VERY (read: virtually none) little passes on to the baby.
    Absolutely, if you need them, take them.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Absolutely, if you need them, take them.
    Vicodin is your friend.

Way too lazy for formula

I recently had my 2nd planned c section, I was more scared this time around but then realized healing seemed WAY faster. We were at church 4 days after my c section, I was cooking and cleaning since the first day I was home. Remember keep smaller children away from incinsion and no sudden movements. Take help if its offered, moving around more speeds healing. Rest when possible. Pain pills alway helped me in the morning and at night. Dont let anyone take your baby.
    My son wasdnt brought to me till at least an hour after surgery, he had formula right after he was born because of sugar levels and the boneheads gave him some before his circumcision to "tide" him over. (I almost killed the nurse who told me he couldnt eat before circumcision) He did good though. Be persistant!
    DS1 Chase John Born 6/30/04
    DS2 Van Gunner 6/22/10
    DD1 Adelynn Grace 1/20/14

Thanks for the book suggestions. I've been doing a lot of reading and I've read two of the books, but I haven't read Breastfeeding Made Simple. I'll look for it this week.

I know taking my pain medicine is important. I wasn't as good about it last time and I think it added to my long list of problems. I won't make that same mistake again.

I'm two weeks away and getting really excited! I really hope the breastfeeding works out this time. A lot of the imformation I have gotten from these posts has made me feel better. Thank you.

I really liked the way that Breastfeeding Made Simple was wrote, hope you find it helpful too!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

I've had 3 c-sections. I tred to breastfeed all 3 but I've only had success with my current baby. My first 2, I didn't get past a week with them. Here are a few things that I believe made me successful this time around:

I demanded that as long as me and my baby were healthy, she was to be brought to me as soon as possible for a feeding.

I made it clear that she was not to be given formula at all.

I did not turn down pain medication when it was offered.

I had 5 pillows. Two for behind me. Two for my stomach. And one for under my arm

Whenever possible, I had baby brought to me (nurses while in the hospital, Dad when we went home)

The main problem you are going to run into is it can be very uncomfortable to B.F. when you are already in pain. Use cushioning as much as you can. I had an arsenol of pillows to help support the baby's weight. Another thing is to be very clear with the staff before you deliver. My nurses knew that if I was alseep when it was feeding time, they had to wake me up. It will be very tiring so go to sleep whenever you possibly can, but it is possible to be successful at B.F ing even when you have a c-section. Another thing, I suffered from severe PPD with my first two. Although you're not guarenteed to be baby blues free, if you breast feed, your chances are lowered.

I think I had the blues last time, too (even though I was in major denial). I think it was brought on by a birth that was not at all what I expected, then the difficulty I had breastfeeding. I just felt useless. This time, I have a "hoping for the best, but prepared for less than that" attitude. I want to breastfeed, I'm prepared, I'm informed, but if I have to supplement, it's not the end of the world (my very healthy 16 month old is proof of that!). I just want to enjoy the whole experience more this time. Thanks for the advice about the pillows. I think I'll bring a few of my own (especially since the hospital pillows are not that great!).

i chimed in about my first csection and just wanted to add that we are on day number four here with dd and she is nursing great!

the more pillows you have on hand in the hospital the better!
    swaddle the baby before feeding and you will be able to handle her better,

nothing makes more for a sudden movement then when the baby starts to choke and you feel like you need to move quick! its easier to grab the blanket then the babys shoulder! i wish i had done this sooner because she had LOTS of fluid to cough up from her lungs after the csection

if you can get the side lying position down (it took me a long time to try with ds, but this time i would have been lost without it!)

good luck!!
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~