Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medication and pumping and dumping advice

Default Medication and pumping and dumping advice

Hello!

I am due with my first child on Nov. 23. I have Crohn's disease and am on the immunosuppressant Imuran. After speaking with my GI doctor, he has advised me to pump and dump 4 hours after I take my medicine as that is how long it is found in the breastmilk. I only have to take one dose per day.

How do I meet my newborn's needs if there is a period of several hours every day when I can't feed? Will I be able to pump at other times during the day to get enough milk to cover this period? How do I avoid nipple confusion? Any advice would be appreciated. I am determined to breast feed but I also cannot stop taking my meds at it would put me at a high risk for relapse.

Default Re: Medication and pumping and dumping advice

Hi! I am not familiar with the drug you mention, but it might be worth checking with a resource like Motherisk (http://motherisk.org there is a free help line there you can call as well) to verify that it is really incompatible with breastfeeding. Often doctors err on the side of caution when they are not sure. Though it sounds like your doc looked into things a bit - it is great to hear that he didn't recommend weaning!

If it's a four-hour stretch, I would think you can replace just one feeding with pumped milk from another part of the day. If you have a choice about when to take the medication, late afternoon is when you are producing the least, so might be a good time to drop a feeding while impeding your supply the least.

There are a number of options to avoid nipple confusion - cup feeding, tube feeding, and spoon feeding are all possibilities you could try.

I too am pleased to know he didnt jump to the 'weaning solution' but could you go to this link and enter the drug name and consider what it has to say... it says a lot but it's worth reading

You can also check with an IBCLC or call your most local LLL leader and they can give you more breastmilk specific information than the GI likely has looked into.

Congratualtions!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

There is so much information about prescription drugs and breastfeeding and sometimes the information is contradictory. Most medications that are ingested by a mother are used up in her blood system leaving trace amounts available to cross the capillaries from the blood into the milk making cells in the breast. your healthy full term infant is able to tolerate most medications. So it is important to do research and not rely on doctors to supply you with the most up to date information. The pharmaceutical company that makes your prescription should be able to supply you or your baby's pediatrician with data. In most cases even the milk of a mom on prescription medications is preferred to artificial human milk substitutes which contain many more chemicals of questionable origin.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esthervegan View Post
    There is so much information about prescription drugs and breastfeeding and sometimes the information is contradictory. Most medications that are ingested by a mother are used up in her blood system leaving trace amounts available to cross the capillaries from the blood into the milk making cells in the breast. your healthy full term infant is able to tolerate most medications. So it is important to do research and not rely on doctors to supply you with the most up to date information. The pharmaceutical company that makes your prescription should be able to supply you or your baby's pediatrician with data. In most cases even the milk of a mom on prescription medications is preferred to artificial human milk substitutes which contain many more chemicals of questionable origin.
    For the most part that is true, however the pharmaceutical companies do zero testing on nursing dyads so they are not the best place to turn when needing information. Baby's pediatrician may be an option to, at least, have a conversation with about it but they can't (obviously) advise you (mom) on what you can/cannot take as you're not in their care. Oft times if it is a commonly prescribed medication, for children, they can assume it's safety but the best bet is turn to those that have lactation research.

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.