Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my baby eating too much?

Default Is my baby eating too much?

My son is two months old yesterday and I just recently returned to work. My grandmother is keeping him and she said he is eating 4-6oz. every 2 hours. I can believe the 4oz. but 6! When I'm not working he nurses every two hours for about 15-20mins. I am ok with him eating that much if it takes that to get him full but I don't like the thought of over-feeding him. All advice is appreciated in this matter.
    Mother of 3 buckaroos
    Kord 11/17/01
    Kolt 4/6/04
    Kal 7/13/10

Default Re: Is my baby eating too much?

Babies tend to eat more from a bottle than the breast because it's easier to get the milk out, but I don't think they can really "over eat" They'll stop when they're full.
    Maybe that's what your LO gets when you bf? Its hard to tell since there's no way to measure the amount he gets at the breast.
    I wouldn't worry mama. As long as the wet/dirty diaper output is normal, and he seems content (not in discomfort, constipated, etc) and growing.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliet1 View Post
    Babies tend to eat more from a bottle than the breast because it's easier to get the milk out, but I don't think they can really "over eat" They'll stop when they're full.
    Maybe that's what your LO gets when you bf? Its hard to tell since there's no way to measure the amount he gets at the breast.
    I wouldn't worry mama. As long as the wet/dirty diaper output is normal, and he seems content (not in discomfort, constipated, etc) and growing.
    they CAN overeat when they are bottle fed. They have to swallow or they choke. The average is 1-1.5 oz per hour you are gown so 6 oz seems like way too much. Does your mother know the feeding cues of a BF baby? Many times people who aren't used to BF babies think baby is hungry when they are fussy, tired, hot, cold, etc.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    they CAN overeat when they are bottle fed. They have to swallow or they choke. The average is 1-1.5 oz per hour you are gown so 6 oz seems like way too much. Does your mother know the feeding cues of a BF baby? Many times people who aren't used to BF babies think baby is hungry when they are fussy, tired, hot, cold, etc.
    You're right.

Sorry, I missed the part in the OP that said "every 2hrs"... that does seem like a little much for bottlefed LO's.

Maybe he's wanting to "suckle" for comfort, since mamas away?
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

These links may help.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    Sounds like your LO is getting overfed. In addition to the tips in the second link make sure you are using the slowest flow nipple available. This helps in two ways- first it gives baby more time to realize they are full and second it more closely mimics the flow they get while BF. Good luck.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Thank you for you alls help. I am going to have a little chat with gma today.
    Mother of 3 buckaroos
    Kord 11/17/01
    Kolt 4/6/04
    Kal 7/13/10