Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping & then feeding

Default Pumping & then feeding

This might be a stupid Q but if i feed my daughter on the left side in the morning & go off to work & pump throughout the day, should I feed her on the right side when I return home?

Default Re: Pumping & then feeding

I always did that but thought it may have been a little OCD of me.

It won't matter. Your breasts will have evened out by that time if you are using a double pump.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Awesome!

Another Q -- if my daughter doesn't eat a full feeding on 1 side, should I feed her from the other side for next feeding or continue w/ the first side?

For ex, she started eating from left side but is napping now & will want to eat again when she wakes up.

You might want to nurse her from the side she did not 'finish' before to make sure she gets enough of the fatty hindmilk that comes at the end of a feeding.

But I wouldn't stress too much about which side you should be feeding from unless you are having problems. For example if you are feeling engorged or unbalanced in size. Or if you notice tummy upsets, green frothy poops (that might indicate she is getting too much watery foremilk) or low weight gain. It really does all even out. I didn't keep close track of which side I nursed from, I used to just do a quick feel of my boobs and see if one felt firmer than the other and nurse from the firmer one.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank you!

I'm really concerned everything is going to get messed up when I start working next week.

Lisa

It's hard going back to work, but you can do it and you can still make breastfeeding work.

One thing you might want to look out for is reverse cycling, when baby nurses frequently at night and eats less during the day. This often happens when mom goes back to work. For me and lots of moms here, what worked best was letting baby reverse cycle and adjusting ourselves and our sleeping arrangements to baby's schedule. I let my daughter nurse as often as she wanted at night and we coslept so that I could do that and still get some sleep. It was a way to make sure she was getting plenty of milk, keep my supply up, and reconnect with her after being gone all day.

Another thing you might want to do ahead of time is make sure that whoever is watching the baby is familiar with how to feed a breastfed baby. There are many day care providers who are so used to formula fed babies that they need a bit of training to get them used to feeding breastmilk. There are a lot of differences and overfeeding is very common. Here's a link you might want to share with your day care provider about how to bottlefeed a breastfed baby. And some info on how much milk you can expect your baby to need.
    --Anonymous

Thank you!

Yes I am familiar w/ the reverse cycling. We don't cosleep now since I don't sleep well when she's in bed w/ us. She hogs the bed! :-) We'll see if that changes.

Yes, my caregiver is aware of bottle feeding a breast fed baby so hopefully all will go well.

I am still struggling with pumping both sides at the same time. It's much easier for me to get milk from 1 side. Is that okay? I sometimes struggle to get any milk when pumping both sides. I hope I get enough milk for her when I go back to work next week.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*will.smom View Post
    I always did that but thought it may have been a little OCD of me.
    I'd go to work and start pumping on the side I didn't nurse on first so by the time I got home I'd nurse from that side as well. Of course, some days the pump was temperamental and I'd just nurse from whichever side was the fullest.

ETA: I always had a side that produced more too. I also agree with Paige (norasmommy) that you should feed her from the side she didn't "finish" at the next session.

About the hogging the bed thing...both mine still do (well they hog MY side of the bed), but I hold out hope for yours.
    Last edited by @llli*mothersky; September 14th, 2010 at 08:30 PM.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!