Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I doing this right?

Default Am I doing this right?

With my first LO I did not respond to the pump and gave up BF around 4-6wks. Now, nearly 6yrs later, I'm BF my 7wk old, but about to return to work. I am trying to build up a supply for the freezer, but it's SLOW Going. I am hoping someone can either give me additional advice or just let me know if I'm doing this right.

I am using a Medela Pump In Style. I have been pumping after what I call our morning feeding (around 6 or 7am depending on when she wakes up) and get SOMETIMES as much as 2oz.

I have been pumping after every feeding and getting about 1/2oz.

My OB gave me a prescription to help increase my milk supply and said to continue the pumping after feedings to help continue the increase.

I have looked at other threads and watched the videos about massaging my breasts while and after pumping.

On my left side I was able to get about 1/2oz and on my right side I was able to get about 1.5oz after the morning feeding. This difference is indicative of a normal pumping session for me (difference in production left vs right). Is this normal???

Sorry it's so much, but I really want to stick with BF this time and I'm getting a bit frustrated. We've also had issues with her and the bottle-that problem is in another forum if you have any advice on that. Thanks for ANYTHING you can tell me!

Default Re: Am I doing this right?

Hello,
    I am fairly new to this whole pumping thing too but i'll offer what I've learned.

-On average, it's normal to pump 1/2 oz-2 oz per session (http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p...se.html#normal). Are you feeding from 1 side at a time & pumping less from that side?

-What makes you think you have low supply? Is your LO frustrated at the breast? Does your LO have enough wet diapers throughout the day?

-My LO has also resisted the bottle. We switched to tommee tippee http://www.tommeetippee.us/ & she's fine. I've also heard good things about Breast Flow.

-When bottle feeding gets easier, try pumping the side she misses. You should get more milk then.

-Pumping is a pain but it will get easier. I'm returning to work soon too (my LO is 13 weeks). I have ~30 oz stored in the freezer. I don't think you need a TON of milk since you'll be pumping on a regular basis. The freezer is for those just in case times.

Does this help?

Lisa

I was thinking my supply was low because everyone else that I know that is pumping is getting more when they pump than I have been. (I mean ALOT more) My OB wanted to help to boost the supply that I might respond better to the pump too.

I feed her on both sides. Roughly 15min on each side. Sometimes she'll be done quicker, but it's usually around 15min.

She rarely gets frustrated at the breast. When she does it usually is a tummy/gas issue.

I feel better knowing I don't have to have too much milk in the freezer to be safe. The others I know that are pumping at work act as if they have gallons in the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kristanley View Post
    The others I know that are pumping at work act as if they have gallons in the freezer.
    If the other women you work with have gallons in the freezer they probably have an oversupply which comes with its own set of issues. Babies really only need 1 to 1.5 oz per hour so if you are supplying that and it sounds like you are then you have nothing to worry about. As for the different outputs on each side that is totally normal- I have one breast that produces about 1.5 times what the other breast produces. The only thing that I would suggest is to check to make sure that you have the right size nipple shields for your pump- they are NOT one size fits all. You may have to go up or down a size and that could really impact how much you are able to pump.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )