Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A WONDERFUL article

Default A WONDERFUL article

EVERY mother should read this, every word of this article:

http://www.drmomma.org/2010/04/watch-your-language.html
    Last edited by @llli*dara; September 14th, 2010 at 08:51 AM.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Default Re: A WONDERFUL article

I can't get the link to work...can you post the actual address please?
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Yes, that is a really good article. I think it's a fascinating idea to always compare formula feeding to breast feeding in the negative, and makes so much sense. It is like pretending that a McDonald's diet is the "norm" and then saying, but fresh, whole foods are best! That implies McDonald's isn't so bad!

I had been depressed lately because someone forwarded me THIS disturbing article:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...-feeding/7311/

I totally disagree with this woman's tone and think a lot of her base assumptions are coming straight off the potentially unhelpful "breastfeeding is best" sort of mode explained in the 1st article. She ignores, for instance, that breastfeeding IS the normal biologically healthy way to raise a child, whether you have a job, or other kids and responsibilities, or what, and turns it into a question of mostly equal choices and feminism (as a feminist and biologist, this irritates me). I wonder how well an article that was written about food similarly would be recieved? "It's ridiculous to keep women and men down by expecting and pressuring them to eat and feed their families time-consuming fresh foods, when it's been proven that people can and do subsist just fine on only slightly more unhealthy and slightly more expensive fast food."

The one thing I wonder about is her parsing of the breastfeeding primary literature, which I don't have available. I don't have the ability to search medical databases so I don't know if she is completely off base on the "maybe one less gastorintestinal virus" or what. I have to think she's minimizing the take home message of a lot of studies.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

OMG OOkie that article was disgusting! If she thinks being "chained" to her new baby is holding her down, why did she choose to have a child? UHG! Did she forget with female rights came birth control? I will refrain from making other comments on my views of parenting and choosing to have children, but this is just one more thing that boggles my mind! I didn't finish reading it cause I could no longer go on with this woman's dribble. But, if she thinks a baby suckling at her breast is hard, how does she have such a bond to the sink, bottle brush and bottles/nipples, and endless amount of washing, sterilizing, etc that is! UHG!

Any way...these kind of views just are confusing to me. People who don't want to be around their new babies. Yuck.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Heather, I know! I just found her whole argument so sad. And aside from the obviously upsetting things like you've mentioned, I knew there was something about the way she framed the difference that kept bugging me - and it was so clearly laid out in the "Watch You Language" Article. She keeps setting up BF as the above-and-beyond superlative choice over the "normal, pefectly fine" choice of formula.

Now I have an article to send back to the person who sent me that, plus a long piece of my mind, knowing me...
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

For sure!

*sigh* I read in a book recently that cultures where mothers are revered after the baby comes, instead of like here in American every one fawns over a pregnant mommy but kind of forgets about them after. And in these cultures where other women come and take care of the household for her after the baby comes, and all the new mother does is care and breastfeed her new baby has hardly any reports of postpartum depression. They breastfed! There's been no research that mom's who decide things are too hard and start using formula to bring down the amount of things to do has less depression. Too bad that side wasn't brought out in that woman's dribbling mess of a article!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

I'm still relatively new to breastfeeding as my DS is only 3 months old, but I just don't get the comment that breastfeeding ties women down or takes so much time.

I'm lazy. Breastfeeding means no mixing, no bottles, no planning food for trips out of the house. No matter what, SOMEONE has to feed the baby. So I was going to invest that time anyway, I just do it with far less mess and no cost to me. Plus I can almost always calm any of my sons crying or fussing with a breast. Works far better than anything else I have tried.

I agree that the language needs to change to promote bf as the normal way to feed a baby, not as an either/or idea.