Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night time help

Unhappy Night time help

My son is almost 14 months old and I have weaned him off daytime nursing. However, he still nurses at bedtime and during the night. We co-sleep and he still wakes at night and wants to nurse. Sometimes this is once a night and sometimes this is numerous times a night. I would eventually like to move him into his own bed. However, he can climb out of his crib (yes it is on the lowest setting). My issue is I have tried to go without nursing him so that he will start sleeping through the night. But when I tried this he cried and cried, for almost 2 hours before I gave in. And I am not talking about a wimper...I mean full on hyserics. There has got to be a better way. I know that him being in the bed with me isn't the best option but like I mentioned before, he can climb out and then I worry about him breaking his neck. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Just in case I need to add this, he is VERY attached to the breast. He still tries to nurse days when we are home all day together but tantrums are more easily handled when you are not needing sleep. Please help!

Default Re: Night time help

We have musical beds at our house. That's what we call it.
    When my son was ready for a big bed we got a fouton at wal-mart. its close to the ground. He slept in it sometimes with mom and sometime with dad.
    when we added his little sister, he slept mostly with dad.
    We used a gate in his door way to keep him from wondering the house.
    Some moms just use the crib mattress on the floor.
    just cause they are weaned doesn't mean they start sleeping all night.
    one of my older ones didn't start sleeping all night untill he was 6 and then he started wetting the bed. I woud rather they get up then wet the bed!

Hi there! The nighttime situation can be frustrating!

Here are some great articles and resources that you might find helpful:

Toddler Tips -
    Setting Limits on Nighttime Nursing

Toddler Tips -
    Excessive Nighttime Nursing

Night Weaning --12 Alternatives for the All-Night Nurser (this last one is NOT a LLL resource, but Dr. Sears has written some great books that are LLL-approved)

Smile Re: Night time help

Thanks for the info...just knowing that others have experienced the exact same thing helps A LOT. I was thinking that weaning would have to come before he would sleep in his own bed. I think I will wait till he is older and can more easily understand the concept of his own bed and work towards the two together. Because I do understand his need to nurse and be close to me at his age plus he gets ear infections often, cutting molars and I am a working mom. So it makes sense that he would want to be with me when he can. Thanks...now if I can just make it through those tough nights. Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandersMama View Post
    I know that him being in the bed with me isn't the best option but like I mentioned before, he can climb out and then I worry about him breaking his neck.
    I have a mattress on the floor in dd's bedroom; dd has always hated the crib but likes the mattress. You may need to gate and baby proof the room.

also you might try nursing durring the day and weaning at night. I feel for you we are still nursing at night. My dd gets hystarical too if I won't let her nurse. I can't wait to sleep all night.

good luck, Sara

Default How long should I try to get my night nurser to sleep?My

My DS is 19 months old and wakes at least every hour, it has gotten to the point that I cringe to have him nurse because he nurses all night long. He has never slept at night and it is getting worse. After almost 2 yrs. of no sleep I am desperate for a solution. I have tried all the normal things (check diet, allergies, teeth, routine, etc.) and nothing has worked. recently we have tried getting me DH to put him to sleep but DS protested with kicks, screams, to the point of almost hyperventilating. I also tried comforting him myself when he would wake in the night, explaining that na-nas go night night and that we do too, offering a sippy cup of water, singing rocking, walking, etc. But all to no avail, he protested for an hour and took another hour to calm down after I decided to give in b/c of the intensity of his screams (I felt like a terrible mother!). I will try some of the new ideas in the articles (very encouraging) but i know that there is a good chance that DS will not accept any substitutes. It's very encouraging to know that I am not the only one with an all night nurser! Thanks for the help!

Default How long should I try to get my night nurser to sleep?

Oops, accidentally hit the enter button. My question that follows up on the background in the first post is this. After trying two different times to get DS to sleep without nursing (see my pp) and being met with profuse and intense protest on the part of my DS should I try again to use these techniques or after one strong reaction lasting over an hour should I refrain from other efforts? Will it be too negative on my DS to try again?

I think you should try whatever you have the energy for... if you are exhuasted and too tired to stick to it, don't bother. I couldn't get anything to work until my daughter was quite verbal and I could talk to her about it. And even then, I had to be pretty darn strict. There was plenty of crying; it couldn't be avoided, for she wanted to nurse and let me know. But you'll know in the morning how it's affecting your child. My dd was so cheerful and seemed perfectly well rested while I felt like dogmeat If you are trying something gentle, subtle, that doesn't take too much work on your part (Pantly Pull off or waiting longer to respond or something along those lines) give it two weeks. I've noticed that it usually takes my dd two weeks to completely accept a new limitation. When I really put my foot down about nursing at night, it was much faster than that. Which is good; I couldn't have gone through it for more than a couple of nights anyway.

But the main reason I'm posting is to say this: My dd is nightweaned, 2.5 years old, and still wakes every three hours. The end of feeding her didn't stop the wakings. Some nights she even still cries for "nursies." Last night she cried, "want nursies!" and when I firmly told her, "No we are not nursing. It is night time." She cried, "want mommy's milk!" My husband giggled and said, "At least she's being creative." Mostly she accepts that she isn't going to nurse, but she asks for story after story all night and to go to the bathroom and for me to wipe her nose and on and on. If you want to nightwean and are successful, great. But if it doesn't work out, well, maybe you're just lucky you have this one thing that WILL get your child back to sleep quickly.

When our twins started climbing out of their cribs at an early age, we got toddler beds, childproofed the room to the hilt, and set up a gate at the doorway (we had a stairway, so we didn't want them taking a tumble down the stairs at night). That solved that.

As far as the nighttime feedings go, I recently had to break my son of nighttime feedings, which I knew wouldn't be easy. What worked for us was that I decided to drop one at a time--not do every one at once, cold turkey (OW!). Then I had to be firm.....don't give in, or it gets worse! The first couple of times I refused to nurse my son, he screamed, too, for HOURS. It was no fun. I would go in his room and comfort him, then lay him back in his crib and leave the room--REPEATEDLY. Eventually, he got the picture that going back to sleep was the best option. Anyway, when I got down to the last nighttime feeding, it was pretty easy to drop--it only took 2 nights, and those 2 nights weren't bad at all. He now sleeps through the night, which is WONDERFUL.

Good luck.....We had to send my husband to the basement for some of those nights so that he could get some rest during the screamfest.

Lisa