Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Formula for day & mommy for night???

Default Re: Formula for day & mommy for night???

sorry, that was supposed to be paint-the-MOON!!!! Just a typo! Sometimes my fingers just type by themselves I think. (I type all day at work...) Sorry!
    Last edited by kayleigh_my_love; October 17th, 2006 at 04:11 PM. Reason: explained typo

Thought I'd share my experience with this.

My DS is 11 months and is still breastfeeding 4x a day, clustered in morning and night. (6am, 7:30, 5pm, 7:30, sometimes the second clustered feeding is just a few mins depending on his interest) -- he currently gets 2 or 3 4 oz bottles of organic forumla at daycare.

I exclusively breastfed for six months and then DS got EBM for the next three months. I pumped at work for five months. I usually double-pumped 2x day, and got between 2 and 8 oz/day.

As I got closer to DS 9months, I was only able to pump 2-4 oz total per day, regardless of what "tricks" I tried (oatmeal, breast massage, lots of water, relaxation, breastfeeding supplements, renting hospital pump).

So I gradually started adding bottles of formula (definitely with some tears and guilt!) to the EBM he received at daycare, eventually getting to the current scenario of formula during the day, mama in morning and night. At his last checkup, our doc, who is very bf-friendly, pointed out that at this point, formula could be viewed as another food source, and that was really helpful.

I definitely worried about maintaining my supply since I could pump so little -- but I figured we'd keep nursing until he was ready to be done.

And two months later, he continues to be happy to nurse 4x a day (and I'm very happy not to have to pump!) and we'll continue to do this as long as he wants.

One note about weekends ... I have found that sometimes we do need to offer bottles during the weekend, but I usually offer the breast first and if he seems fussy we'll make up a bottle.

I'm sure I'm describing how supplementation leads to early weaning but I'm so glad it has worked for me.

I'm sure it differs for everyone but I thought I'd share my experience, especially since I was struggling with what I thought was a low supply, but was probably a non-response to the pump!

Joy~ thanks for sharing your experience. DD seems to be responding very well to the change. I am so lucky to have such a happy and easy-going baby. Not only is she adjusting to me leaving her 8 hrs a day, but the formula too. She is not eating much during the day, though. Today our sitter said she only had 3 2oz bottles, which I don't think is enough, but then she nurses all night! I am hoping she will increase as she gets more used to the changes, but for now it seems to be working. Again, thanks for sharing, it helps to know that others have done this and are still nursing when they are with their babies.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLShannon View Post
    Any breastmilk is better than none - you'll still be giving your baby valuable nutrients and antibodies, and bonding.

There are some mothers who make working work by only nursing at night. Breastfeeding is a supply and demand process - if there's demand, your body will make milk, but if there's no demand, the milk supply will diminish. So, if you're nursing at night, you'll have milk at night. If you're nursing first thing in the morning, there will be milk first thing in the morning. If you're not pumping at work, there will be only a little bit of milk available during those hours.

Have you considered pumping one side while baby nurses on the other? You'll get some milk for the next day, and baby will still get some now. if you'll do this for several days in a row, your supply will increase at this time, and you'll be able to pump at this time every day.
    So, I am starting DS on formula today. I plan on giving formula while he is at the babysitter's (3 days a week), and continue to nurse him when I am home. So, once my body adjusts to the new schedule, does that mean I will only be able to nurse him during certain hours (ie. mornings/evenings) due to a lower supply during the hours that I would be at work? Does that make sense? Exactly, how will my body adjust on the days that I am home (4 days a week)?

I don't know... I think our bodies can adjust as far as the times of day we need milk and when we don't, but I don't think they can tell the difference between monday and tuesday, know what I mean? I have only been doing this now for two weeks, but this past weekend I nursed a little later than when I leave for work during the week and a little earlier than I normally get home and I was engorged on mon & tues this week. Maybe someone else will give you a better answer, though. I don't have much experience with it yet! Good luck!

Wink Re: Formula for day & mommy for night???

Quote Originally Posted by kayleigh_my_love View Post
    She is not eating much during the day, though. Today our sitter said she only had 3 2oz bottles, which I don't think is enough, but then she nurses all night!
    This is called reverse cycling. perfectly normal... all it hurts is your sleep, lol! but your baby needs that connection with you and if she can't get it during the day she'll just wait until you're there. I'd let her do it as long as it wasn't making me too tired, but that's just me....
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

"Reverse Cycling" - That makes sense! Thanks for sharing...

I agree, I think she is reverse cycling too. Gradually she is eating more and more of the formula during the day and it is working out very well for us. She knows that when mommy comes home that is our time together. Thanks everyone for your input!