Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formula for day & mommy for night???

Default Formula for day & mommy for night???

Hello- I have always been given wonderful advice on this site so I am hoping some of you other working mamas may be able to help!

Does anyone have any experience with baby having formula during the day and nursing only at night? I am back at work now and am having trouble pumping there. I really do not want to wean, she will turn 5 mo next week and I absolutely love nursing her, but it is getting harder and harder to make this work! I work in a large office with only one private bathroom (I know, not the best place for pumping, but my only option) and so finding a time during the day when I am on a break and the bathroom is free is becoming a challenge. I also feel bad taking up so much time in there while others are waiting. I finally got in to pump today, only to sit there for 30 mins and come up with a disappointing 2 oz!!!! My daytime supply is obviously dwindling, but my nighttime supply is still fantastic. I am currently nursing at 5am, 7am (before I leave) and then when I get home around 4pm & on thru the evening until bed. I am really struggling with this decision, but she has already had to have a few bottles of formula over the past few days because I am not able to leave enough milk. My freezer stash has been cleaned out and I simply don't have the time during the day, then at night she is a nursing machine, so there is not much milk left to pump! Some BF friends have suggested to let her have bottles of formula while I am at work and keep on nursing at night. Will my supply hold up without pumping during the day at all, or will I dry up completely? Please help! I cried the whole way to work today because I knew I did not leave enough milk for her! I feel like a terrible mommy! Thanks so much!

Default Re: Formula for day & mommy for night???

don't be afraid to call your local lll leader. She can help.
    Some moms find that they can do formula during the day and then nurse at night and when they are with their baby.
    there are some things you can try to increase your supply that a leader would be able to tell you about. She could also get you intouch with some other working moms in your area.
    some babies will eat all night to make up for being gone from mom during the day.
    your not a bad mom your doing the best you can, some moms have a hard time pumping. Have you tried to hand express? Some moms find that works beter then the pump when they figure out how to.

I don't have experience with this personally, but a teacher friend of mine is doing this and it is working well. She has plenty of milk when she is at home and her body has adjusted to not producing during work hours. The only thing she found was that she couldn't nurse during the weekend during the hours she normally worked or else she would end up engorged at work the next week. Hope this helps! It must be frustrating to not to have a decent spot to pump at work. I am returning to work in 6 weeks and will have to pump in my car in the employee parking lot for at least one of my pumping sessions.

I'm doing the same thing.Because of my tight work schedule i really can't take much break.while my baby is at sitters place she takes bottles of formula while i nurse her during night time.And also i try to nurse her during naptimes during weekend.I'm happy i'm able to nurse her during the night....

Take care and don't feel bad.U'r great mom doing best for your baby.

Mangai

Is there any way you can nurse her at lunch time? That may help your supply a lot! I have always had trouble pumping - my average is 2-3 ounces! Nursing my baby at lunch has been a livesaver for our bf relationship.

Even if the answer is no, you may still want to consider pumping at lunch.

Any breastmilk is better than none - you'll still be giving your baby valuable nutrients and antibodies, and bonding.

There are some mothers who make working work by only nursing at night. Breastfeeding is a supply and demand process - if there's demand, your body will make milk, but if there's no demand, the milk supply will diminish. So, if you're nursing at night, you'll have milk at night. If you're nursing first thing in the morning, there will be milk first thing in the morning. If you're not pumping at work, there will be only a little bit of milk available during those hours.

Have you considered pumping one side while baby nurses on the other? You'll get some milk for the next day, and baby will still get some now. if you'll do this for several days in a row, your supply will increase at this time, and you'll be able to pump at this time every day.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Ladies thanks so much for your responses. They made me feel so much better. The week went pretty well, other than on Fri morning my period returned! I was shocked at how quickly my body responded to making less milk. I am wondering if this is normal...? Kayleigh handled it all very well, though it has been tough this weekend. She sees that I am home and does not understand why we are not nursing during the day. I did cheat a couple times, I will probably pay for it tomorrow at work! I think it is good though, it will make the (not in the near future) weaning process easier on both of us and it makes us cherish our nursing time at night more. My hormones are all out of whack and I am so emotional, which I am sure is quite normal. By the way, Shannon, I have tried to pump while nursing, but it is not possible for us. She won't eat, she is too interested in the pump. She is fascinated with gadgets of any kind, so she tries to take the pump from me and play with it, tries to eat it, etc... I just wanted to say thanks for the help (as usual) and if anyone knows anything about when it is normal for your period to return, I would be interested to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by kayleigh_my_love View Post
    if anyone knows anything about when it is normal for your period to return, I would be interested to find out.
    I don't have my period back yet, so can't comment from a personal experience, but found this link that has some great info ...

Menstruation and Breastfeeding

It states: "Almost anything is considered normal when it comes to your periods while breastfeeding. All women experience a time of postpartum bleeding following birth which is not considered a menstrual period. If bottle-feeding, most mothers will have their first real period not long after this. Breastfeeding, however, suppresses menstruation at least for a while. For some mothers, there may be an absence of menstruation for weeks, months, and even years while still breastfeeding. Some mothers will even need to completely wean before they see their first period. Others, once their babies begin taking supplemental foods or sleeping longer periods at night, will see the first period. Once menstruation returns it may continue to be irregular during lactation. It's not uncommon to have a shorter or longer than normal period while breastfeeding. It's also not abnormal to skip a period or see the first period return and then find that months pass before the next one."

Take care!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

thanks paint-the-mean, that helped a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by kayleigh_my_love View Post
    thanks paint-the-mean, that helped a lot!
    Is that supposed to be "MEAN"? I'm confused ... like, did I say something mean???

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon