Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Are we doing ok?? Updated on us!

Default Are we doing ok?? Updated on us!

Previous thread posted here - http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=92427

Levi is now 25 days old. I've cut out dairy 100% and can already see an improvement in his overall mood, MUCH less colicky type symptoms (he was screaming 3-5 hours nightly - straight - with no consolation). He's also eating during the night now instead of screaming for hours at the breast. Gas is still a problem, but poops are looking more normal now! I think dairy may have been our culprit!

I also want to have him checked for an upper lip tie - it appears he has one from other pictures I've seem. He has a hard time opening wide, and a hard time placing his lips correctly when latching - maybe this is the cause?? Here's a cruddy pic, but shows what I mean -

We are still nursing with the nipple shield. Occasionally I can get him to latch w/o it but no matter how hard I try - nipple sandwhich, pulling him closer, huge wide open mouth, ect.. he has a VERY shallow latch and it's so, so painful resulting in "lipstick" nipples. Milk transfer appears ok - he gulps/swallows about 10 minutes solidly, then sucks to pacify for another 10-20 minutes before falling asleep swallowing every few minutes during that time. The shield is always full of milk when he breaks his latch, breasts are softened, and he appears full and content and normally sleeps.

Weight gain. Pedi & LC would like to see him have gained more weight between 2 and 3 weeks, but they aren't worried. Say he may just be a "slow grower".

Born 8/19 Birth Weight - 7lbs 3oz
    Discharge Day 3 - 6lbs 11oz
    LC Weight Check Day 7 - 7lbs
    Pedi Apt Day 14 - 7lbs 4oz
    LC Weight Check Day 21 - 7lbs 8oz

Here's an "average" nursing day when we are at home - this was today. When we are out and about, he nurses every 2-3 hours because he sleeps in the sling and I typically have to wake him to eat.

11:15pm
    11:50
    1:45am
    5:20
    8:00
    8:45
    10:00
    11:10
    12:15pm
    1:20
    3:00
    4:20

He's had 3 soaking wet dipes so far today - still have 7 more hours until "24 hours" is up.

On top of all that nursing, I try to pump 2-3 times a day to build up a freezer stash and typically get anywhere from .5-2oz combined after he nurses - or I pump the opposite breast while he eats.

My only worry is - despite the fact he nurses almost 24/7 is he getting enough? I think I have enough milk since I'm nursing exclusively and am able to pump that amount... My breast get very full and painful if he goes more than 2.5-3hrs w/o nursing. He typically has anywhere from 5-9 wet diapers daily, but doesn't necessarily poop daily. Sometimes he poops 5 times a day, sometimes only once. Is this ok that this point?

Oh - this is also our first week w/o any formula supplementation or expressed milk supplementation!

I'm just so nervous and I can't believe I'm actually successfully (pretty much) nursing a baby and he is growing and doing ok on just mommy's milk!
    Last edited by @llli*aplyler88; September 13th, 2010 at 03:46 PM.

Default Re: Are we doing ok?? Updated on us!

I think your feeding schedule looks great! And the diapers... I believe that when they are talking about wet diapers, it's not necessarily soaking wet diapers. So you may be ok there already with 3 soaking wet ones.

I had to use a shield with my daughter as well as first and was able to get off of it after several weeks - have you been to a lactation consultant to try and get some help with that?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I think your feeding schedule looks great! And the diapers... I believe that when they are talking about wet diapers, it's not necessarily soaking wet diapers. So you may be ok there already with 3 soaking wet ones.

I had to use a shield with my daughter as well as first and was able to get off of it after several weeks - have you been to a lactation consultant to try and get some help with that?

We use cloth diapers, so he gets changed about every 2-3 hours - he was dry when I went to change him the first time, but the other 3 changes were very, very wet.

Yep - been to three different LC's and all have tried to help me get off the shield - including the one that got us on the shield in the first place = no luck... We've even tried dripping milk over my nipples so that he gets instant gratification, and an SNS - no luck My nipples don't protrude hardly at all - maybe 1cm at most literally and he just can't quite get enough suction to pull them out and keep them out and he gets so frustrated.

Give it some time. I managed to ditch the shield when I couldn't stand dealing with it at night anymore. She was maybe 4 weeks old? I can't really remember. It took a lot of patience and persistance on my part. But I have met a woman who used the shield at least until a year, maybe longer. And her baby was a butterball! So, it's possible to use it for a long time, if you have to.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Give it some time. I managed to ditch the shield when I couldn't stand dealing with it at night anymore. She was maybe 4 weeks old? I can't really remember. It took a lot of patience and persistance on my part. But I have met a woman who used the shield at least until a year, maybe longer. And her baby was a butterball! So, it's possible to use it for a long time, if you have to.
    Thank you!!

I added a pic about the upper lip tie as well.