Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help for Kim! Tongue-tie and weight loss/jaundice

Default Re: Help for Kim! Tongue-tie and weight loss/jaundice

desperate times call for desperate measures! I am so happy to hear the update!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

PTL!

Just keep at it, always offer him the breast first. It will get easier that way. Also I would still get the tongue clipped. I was told DD1's wasn't that bad, and she would be fine, I ended up eping for 2 1/2 years because I didn't go with my instincts that it was hindering things!

I also was one that ended up having to get tongue clipped later in life-I was 8. Cause I just couldn't speak clearly no matter what I did. However, once the ENT seen my tie, he couldn't believe I could even speak at all! I still can't stick my tongue out at all, cause of it being tied all that time. And I still have a lisp. I wish they would of clipped it when I was a baby. I had to do a lot of exercises with my tongue for years, and like I said, still really didn't do much cause they waited too long. So I say get it clipped ASAP.

WOW you must of went to a good hospital, I couldn't get them to leave me alone about my daughter and filling out all the paper work with her name on it. Then they still had her name wrong and said I filled out the papers wrong. I said well you had me on drugs forcing me to fill out those papers. However, my husband said he had proof read the paperwork and doesn't believe I misspelled the name! And he wants proof that "I" was the one who misspelled it and not the one putting stuff in the PC. Cause he says he swears he proof read the paperwork for me and that I spelled things correct. Even though when we got every thing with the wrong spelling and we called they said that's how "I" spelled it on the paperwork. Hubby says he doesn't believe that, and that they are lying. I am not sure, they made me fill them out so soon, and with DD2 in NICU I was distracted to say the least! UHG! I wish they would of let me go home a while and get settled in first!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    We were supposed to be discharged after lunch so we timed everything out perfectly. When I would pump to have the baby fed so that neither would coincide with leaving and the drive home. It was all working according to plan, the baby was fed and napping for about 30 minutes. We were waiting for the wheelchair when suddenly he woke up hungry. It was close to when I had to pump but everything was packed up and I was already discharged. Out of desperation I put him to the breast. He flipped out getting louder and louder. Everyone but my husband left the room and I was getting nervous. All of a sudden he latched on and gulped frantically for 5 minutes before passing out cold, just in time for the wheelchair to arrive. I almost burst into tears. we're gonna be okay.
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

Please remind me why I'm doing this. He has not latched at all since leaving the hospital. I have blood in my milk and scabs on my nipples from pumping. With MK it was so different. She was in the hospital for a month, so all I could do as a mother was pump for her, since I didn't have a baby to care for. This time I have a baby and a 4 year old. And he was full term. We got his tongue clipped on Thursday and I was hoping that would help. It has changed how far out he can push his tongue but hasn't helped him latch at all. In fact, he has completely lost the latch he had before. Most times he won't even try. Any suggestions are greatly welcome. I've tried everything I know and I'm in tears that I can't sooth my crying baby or feed him.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Lots of hugs! I wish I knew how to help! Do you flanges fit right? are your nipples rubbing on them? I know I had trouble with that and had to go up to the 30mm shields. Sorry I'm not more help!
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

Kim...start with a deep breath...you've been through a lot.

1st rule you know is...feed him. However he can be fed. Then protect the milk supply. And finally work on getting him back to the breast.

Are you using lansinoh on the breasts? That should help it heal up. Try to air your breasts out. Next, I'd make sure that your pump shields fit properly. If they are too small, you're gonna have sore nipples.

Are you doing any suck training? I'd let him suck on your pinky finger, pad side up, and then slowly move your finger down and out of his mouth...and then quickly offer him the breast...but not forcing him? Also, maybe try swaddling him before you try to start nursing him....this may help calm him down so he's not frantic and flailing around while you're trying to help him latch on

Hugs, mama. Hang in there...it will get better
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

The LC said I was using the right size. I think I have another size to try though. I put nipple butter on before pumping to help with the friction and also air dry. The LC's couldn't help me anymore. According to them I'm doing everything right, but he still doesn't seem to get it. When he gets the nipple in his mouth he won't suck, even if I shoot milk in his mouth. My supply is fine, I'm pumping more than he's eating but not trying to feed him while engorged. I try every position too. He now has a shallow latch, which I guess is because of the nipple confusion. We were doing finger feedings to start but had a really busy day full of doctors appointments so we switched to the bottle - which I will never give him, only my husband. I guess we should get back to alternative feeding methods. Would SNS help if he won't suck and my supply is fine? How would I set it up? Tube on top of nipple or below?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I would try one of those specialized LCs the IB kind cause LCs seem to really vary! And I had horrible ones in the past!

Secondly have you tried a nipple shield.

Also to help hurry the healing process I really like the medela hydro gels.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

my LC gave me Vigilon sheets for the massive craps in my nipples (very high palate is painful too). mama. You will get through this.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I don't know what to do about the latch. I just know Max's latch was horrible, I was at the LCs clinic 2x a week for like 4 weeks, he just out grew it or something. My nipples still have massive scars from the divits that we cracked and bloody. I ended up with a nipple shield for a while.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language