Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help for Kim! Tongue-tie and weight loss/jaundice

Default Re: Help for Kim! Tongue-tie and weight loss/jaundice

mama. He will get there.
    Congrats on your baby boy.

Bc of nipple confusion it took N about 4 weeks to finally get back to the breast. It sounds like he's doing better and better tho. A shallow latch is better than no latch
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kelmareuby View Post
    mama. He will get there.
    Congrats on your baby boy.

Bc of nipple confusion it took N about 4 weeks to finally get back to the breast. It sounds like he's doing better and better tho. A shallow latch is better than no latch
    But he won't suck at all. If I get him on he immediately pulls back to a shallow latch then pulls off completely without sucking at all. He has gotten no milk directly from my breasts since leaving the hospital.

I really wanted to avoid a nipple shield. My nipples are perfect and it's one more thing to have to eventually overcome. I used one with MK and it was a huge mistake. Plus I'm prone to thrush with the round of antibiotcs I've been on.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Well the nipple shield is not always in fact most times, not about your nipples not being right, but rather to help your baby have the right latch. It could be different reasons why he has the wrong latch/won't latch and sometimes they help. But, I understand not wanting to get attached to one.

I would call a really qualified LC.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Kim, I understand your hesitation. For me though, I would rather have to wean him off a nipple shield than BOTTLE. Just because at least then you guys ARE breastfeeding. And you won't be cleaning bottles and pumping. You mentioned having two kids to take care of. Do you really want to spend the double time involved in nursing the pump and bottle feeding? At least with the shield it's all straight from the source. Of Course you have perfect nipples. But if there is a latch issue IMO putting on a shield will be a more efficient use of your time.
    Hang in there Mama. You WILL get through this.

Way too lazy for formula

Exactly! you said it better then me. I would rather go around with a nipple shield the rest of my life, then have to pump and clean bottles and all that stuff again! I did it for 2 1/2 years with DD1, and for 4 months for DD2, and ugh, pumping at first wasn't that bad, but it begins to get real tedious!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Oh and PS a nipple shield should not cause thrush if

1. Take it off between feedings and rinse, and dry your nipples well.

2. Sterilize the shield each time.

I weaned DD2 off the shield pretty easy thankfully. But, when she was on one, I had several (she was only on one for about 3 weeks though so this wasn't long) and I would clean them, and sterilize them, and keep them in a clean container, that was supposed to be for pacifiers, but it was the perfect size and shape for the shields, then just get a new one each feeding. At the end of the day I washed, and sterilized all of them, and put them in the container and started over again.

I am prone to thrush cause I'm a diabetic (sugar in the blood causes yeast problems). And by doing the above I never got thrush on my nipples.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

I got a shield and have tried 3 different feedings. He still won't latch. He got on for a split second and it was excruciatingly painful and he let go immediately. He won't even look at it now, just like my nipple itself. I'm out of ideas and now he just screams whenever I try to put him to the breast.

I would email dr newman and try to find one of his LC's. Not ALL LC's are really qualified or very good at all. His kind are better.

also just cause he had the tongue clipped doesn't mean they did a good enough job, I've heard of people having to get their babies tongues clipped by 3 different people before they found a dr who actually did it good enough to effect the latch!

So I would find one of Jack Newman's LC's and have them look at the tongue, it may need redone. And maybe they can help with the latch at the very least.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Things have finally started to get better. I saw a great LC 1.5 weeks ago. We had a breakthrough and then took two giant steps backwards. Part of the problem has been timing. My husband went back to work and MK's schedule is very tight, so I just didn't have 2 hours to struggle with getting him to nurse - it always took 1-2 hours to get him latched. The nipple shield didn't work. It was extremely painful and he got frustrated with it. So over the last 1.5 weeks I have been mostly pumping and trying when I had time. And it felt okay to not stress over it. I've stayed confident that it eventually clicks for all of them, hope that's not overly optimistic of me

The past 24 hours we have been exclusively nursing, I haven't even touched the pump. Even through the night feedings. The longest a latch has taken is 15 minutes, but most have been 5-10 minutes. Our issue now is how shallow his latch is, especially on my right breast. It's painful when he first gets latched. I know part of the problem is overactive letdown. He's gulping to keep up so he has to pull back to compensate, which I'm okay with, but I can't get him to have a deep latch after that wears off. I know I should not let him stay latched shallow, but it's so hard not to when I have barely had him on the breast to begin with. A shallow latch feels so much better than no latch at all. I'm keeping an eye on his poops - when I've been nursing they have been green I think because of the shallow latch. So far so good this round though and they are staying yellow. I'm hoping this is the beginning of our nursing relationship. Fingers crossed.

Thank you so much llladies. As usual, you have hugged me through some rough patches. I greatly appreciate it and couldn't do it without you.

Oh... mad amounts of happy tears, Kim!!!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...