Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help for Kim! Tongue-tie and weight loss/jaundice

Default Re: Help for Kim! Tongue-tie and weight loss/jaundice

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    I've been trying to start a thread but can't and hope this finally works. I only have my phone and spotty Internet.

The tongue tie is not that bad. We had a full day of great nursing sessions. He has a strong latch and even with the Level 2 tongue tie can get his tongue over his gum. The trouble is most times he will not even try. He's not upset he just sits there like he's not interested. When I have gotten him on it's great. But the doctors are done letting him try because of the weight loss and his billirubin levels going up. They want me to give formula, which I was willing to let them do for his first feed because his blood sugar was below 40 but am not willing now. My output is great at about an ounce every 2 hours. We have been finger feeding. Because of everything I went through with MK I'm terrified of that causing nipple confusion. He has refused to even try to latch since early this morning. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. I've been doing tons of skin to skin and have attempted to latch at all times, when calm, starving, after cup feeding, after finger feeding, after pumping and have tried all holds.

If the tongue tie is not that bad and he has been able to latch, is it necessary to do? Can his billirubin go down after one day of fingerfeeding and can his weight increase just as quickly? Many of you may recall, all I wanted from this birth experience was to meet my son immediately and take him home when I leave the hospital. I got my first wish but they are threatening my second. I'm terrified.
    I have not dealt with tongue tie, but personally, I think I would go ahead and get it clipped to avoid that altogether. And yes, his bili can go down pretty fast, once he is pooping enough to flush it out. And his weight can also go up somewhat, as long as you are getting fluids into him, be it BM or formula. After I had Mason (vaginal birth), he was somewhat jaundiced and they were trying to force formula on us. I refused (except once when I did a 1/4 ounce and he promptly puked it up), because it was obvious my milk was already coming in on day 2. I just kept nursing him as often as he would let me, and his levels came down fast. He came home with us on time, about 2.5 days after he was born and his bili was fine.

IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Okay well it sounds like I'm doing it right so far. The LC basically clammed up when I sounded more educated than she did. I will get the ENT as soon as possible. I was trying to avoid any more procedures since he's going to have to see a urologist and get his penis operated on eventually, an entirely different story that I will be looking for help with later.

Thank you everyone! I will get to posting my birth story and a picture of my beautiful boy as soon as I get home and settled.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    Hang in there Kim!! I would still look into getting his tongue tie take care of. While he may be able to latch...it might be sore to stretch out or to nurse for long periods of time.

I think that I'd attempt to latch him each and every time. And then...after he nurses...can you pump milk to supplement with? I'd do whatever it takes to get OUT of the hospital with him in your arms. If that means jumping through their hoops, then I'd do it. Once you're home, I think you can work more on his latch.

If you are producing, then I see no reason why you'd have to supplement with formula. I'd absolutely refuse that...but I would be more willing to give a little and finger/syringe feed...as long as it is BM you're giving.
    I agree with everything Leslie said!!
    Sounds like you're doing great, and thankfully you knew what to do going in, a great tool the second time around!
    I agree on the getting his tongue clipped for future reasons...a TT can affect their swallowing, making them gag a lot more than normal too.

Congrats again, how exciting!!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I agree...get the tongue clipped asap and get that out of the way. Sending your way. I agree with Buff...under 20 is not bad and doesn't warrant formula.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Get the tongue-tie clipped! DS1 was born with a tongue-tie and the ENT wouldn't cut it and I wasn't educated enough to demand to see someone else. He never latched and that's why I EPed.

DS2 was also tongue-tied, he DID latch, but it was difficult and he lost too much weight to begin with too and had some jaundice. The ENT did clip his tongue and it made a HUGE difference!

I think I am probably the biggest advocate on the face of the earth for fixing tongue-ties but it really did make such a difference and I wish I had been a better advocate for DS1 at the time.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I wouldn't even start to worry about the jaundice until his level is 16 or 17, and then I would *start* to worry. Waylon and Gwyn both had jaundice and it peaked (just like the book said it would) at day 5, right around 16 and then started dropping.

How many days ago was her born? I'm sorry, my days run together!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Yeah I ended up EPing cause I believed the Ped that it had no effect on her latch. UHG! GRrrrr

As far as the penile surgery, what is it for? I may be able to help. I will say ped urologist, want to do a lot of the surgeries young enough for them to still be in diapers, some reason they say it's easier, then. I've went through it with 3 foster sons. They were fleshly brothers to each other, and all three had the same penile deformity. I can't remember the name of it, but the lay name was shovel head penis, it was shaped like a shovel. And the urethra was the wrong direction-it's supposed to go north to south, but the slit went east/west instead. (horizontal instead of vertical) Which causes many problems, form spraying when urinating, instead of a steady stream, to having problems with infertility, and e.d. when grown up. All three had successful surgeries correcting it, EXCEPT the oldest, he was 6 and because of the delay in fixing it, had to have a second surgery for it to "take".

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Okay well it sounds like I'm doing it right so far. The LC basically clammed up when I sounded more educated than she did. I will get the ENT as soon as possible. I was trying to avoid any more procedures since he's going to have to see a urologist and get his penis operated on eventually, an entirely different story that I will be looking for help with later.

Thank you everyone! I will get to posting my birth story and a picture of my beautiful boy as soon as I get home and settled.
    Can't wait ti hear your birth story and see pics of your little man. PM me for info on pedi urologists. DS2 and DS3 had to have surgeries. We opted for urologists that were not specifically pediatric urologists for a few reasons. I'd be happy to tell you about our experiences. Good luck momma!!!
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

The tongue tie is not that bad. We had a full day of great nursing sessions. He has a strong latch and even with the Level 2 tongue tie can get his tongue over his gum. The trouble is most times he will not even try. He's not upset he just sits there like he's not interested. When I have gotten him on it's great. But the doctors are done letting him try because of the weight loss and his billirubin levels going up. They want me to give formula, which I was willing to let them do for his first feed because his blood sugar was below 40 but am not willing now. My output is great at about an ounce every 2 hours. We have been finger feeding. Because of everything I went through with MK I'm terrified of that causing nipple confusion. He has refused to even try to latch since early this morning. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. I've been doing tons of skin to skin and have attempted to latch at all times, when calm, starving, after cup feeding, after finger feeding, after pumping and have tried all holds.

If the tongue tie is not that bad and he has been able to latch, is it necessary to do? Can his billirubin go down after one day of fingerfeeding and can his weight increase just as quickly? Many of you may recall, all I wanted from this birth experience was to meet my son immediately and take him home when I leave the hospital. I got my first wish but they are threatening my second. I'm terrified.
    Congrats on your little man! I agree with all the other mommas on here, have the tongue tie repaired. Both of my kids had it, and although we also never had latch issues we ran into major problems as they got older.

Your little guy is going to need some work to get him nursing properly, but I'm sure you will be up for it. Both of my kids struggled a bit at the beginning. With #1 I would take the edge off on his hunger and feed him a little EBM in a bottle and then transfer him to the breast. #2 lost so much weight and so after every nursing session I pumped and fed him that milk in a bottle. He just got so weak he could not get enough at the breast to get him going strong. It took him about 2 weeks and we dropped the bottles.

You can do it, enjoy him momma!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Just a little update. We spent yesterday pumping and finger feeding every two hours. His billirubin is now fine and he gained an ounce. We're going home today!! Next order of business is getting his tongue clipped and getting to latch. Oh, and giving him a name!!

Thanks again llladies. You are always so supportive and helpful.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn