Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help for Kim! Tongue-tie and weight loss/jaundice

Default Help for Kim! Tongue-tie and weight loss/jaundice

Any advice for Kim? Kim is supposed to be discharged tomorrow and she may not be bale to take her little man home with her.

Here's what she says "He can latch, but won't. He has lost 10% o fhis birthweight and is jaundiced and tongue-tied."

And thought son how to deal with the docs re: weight loss? He started at 7.1 and is now 5.6 Billirubin is 11.

I sent her the link to Kellymom.com's tongue tie info.

Any thoughts, mamas?
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Default Re: Help for Kim! Tongue-tie and weight loss/jaundice

As far as I know (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) bilirubin is not a huge concern unless it's up around 20 or so. And if I was her, I would have that tongue tie clipped ASAP. Has she tried using a nipple shield to help him latch? She could always try pumping and then finger feeding him or use a dropper.

Also, if the jaundice is a real concern, she can take the bili lights and/or bili blanket HOME with her, and use it on him there.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    As far as I know (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) bilirubin is not a huge concern unless it's up around 20 or so. And if I was her, I would have that tongue tie clipped ASAP. Has she tried using a nipple shield to help him latch? She could always try pumping and then finger feeding him or use a dropper.

Also, if the jaundice is a real concern, she can take the bili lights and/or bili blanket HOME with her, and use it on him there.
    I'd get the tounge snipped ASAP and try a nipple shield. They suck but it could help and she can wean off of it later

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

with Buff. Due to a blood incompatibility between Thomas and me, he was jaundiced (in the 20s) and once it stayed below 16 (if I recall correctly) for 24 hours, we were able to take him home. Jaundice levels tend to naturally peak around day 5, and then start to drop off on their own. We were able to take him home when he was 8 days old. The main issue we had was the extreme sleepiness and trying to get him awake enough to nurse, which affected his latch, but as he "woke up" it eventually improved. We weren't able to take him home for bili lights/blanket because he was still on IV, etc, but if that's an option for Kim I'd definitely recommend it.

We didn't have tongue tie as an issue, but I hope they're able to get it fixed and get him home ASAP.

If the pedi won't clip the tongue...tell her to DEMAND to have an ENT evaluate him ASAP. He needs to have it clipped soon before he has all kinds of latch issues.

Bilirubin of 11 isn't that bad. Shiloh was at 17 and we stayed under the lights for a little bit. I'd advice her to get her milk or formula into him some way to get that bilirubin down. I used a syringe and fed Shiloh some formula for 24hrs until my milk came in...and then I used the syringe for a couple of feedings. He was sooooooo tired that he wouldn't wake up to nurse. After a few days, he woke right up and started nursing...her little man should do the same...provided that he get his tongue taken care of
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    If the pedi won't clip the tongue...tell her to DEMAND to have an ENT evaluate him ASAP. He needs to have it clipped soon before he has all kinds of latch issues.

I also recall that bilirubin under 20 is not a big problem.

Is she bottle-feeding while she gets his latch sorted?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Her production is great and she's been finger feeding. Kim, text me and I'll post whatever you need me to. XO

(Kim can log in and read on her phone but her service is spotty and she can't gte signed in to post!)
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I've been trying to start a thread but can't and hope this finally works. I only have my phone and spotty Internet.

The tongue tie is not that bad. We had a full day of great nursing sessions. He has a strong latch and even with the Level 2 tongue tie can get his tongue over his gum. The trouble is most times he will not even try. He's not upset he just sits there like he's not interested. When I have gotten him on it's great. But the doctors are done letting him try because of the weight loss and his billirubin levels going up. They want me to give formula, which I was willing to let them do for his first feed because his blood sugar was below 40 but am not willing now. My output is great at about an ounce every 2 hours. We have been finger feeding. Because of everything I went through with MK I'm terrified of that causing nipple confusion. He has refused to even try to latch since early this morning. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. I've been doing tons of skin to skin and have attempted to latch at all times, when calm, starving, after cup feeding, after finger feeding, after pumping and have tried all holds.

If the tongue tie is not that bad and he has been able to latch, is it necessary to do? Can his billirubin go down after one day of fingerfeeding and can his weight increase just as quickly? Many of you may recall, all I wanted from this birth experience was to meet my son immediately and take him home when I leave the hospital. I got my first wish but they are threatening my second. I'm terrified.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Have you tried the SNS (supplemental nursing system)? Ask them for one, they should have them at the hospital. That will get food into him with him at the breast. You will have to pump (which you're already doing) and it's a bit of coordination, but with some help you should be able to do it.

I'm sorry this is happening Kim.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Hang in there Kim!! I would still look into getting his tongue tie take care of. While he may be able to latch...it might be sore to stretch out or to nurse for long periods of time.

I think that I'd attempt to latch him each and every time. And then...after he nurses...can you pump milk to supplement with? I'd do whatever it takes to get OUT of the hospital with him in your arms. If that means jumping through their hoops, then I'd do it. Once you're home, I think you can work more on his latch.

If you are producing, then I see no reason why you'd have to supplement with formula. I'd absolutely refuse that...but I would be more willing to give a little and finger/syringe feed...as long as it is BM you're giving.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!