Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fatty milk

Default Fatty milk

Hi all,

we just got back from the pediatrician yesterday. My DS is 5 month old and weighs 13 lbs 14 oz, 25 3/4" long.
    He gained only 10 oz since the last check up which was at 4 months. The ped was suggesting that I start solids to up his caloric intake since I'm still nursing every 2 hours and about 3 at night. She is not worried or anything but thinks that my body might not be able to keep up with his metabolic rate.
    I tried to pump the other day and only got 30ml from 1 side. This was when I had some knots in my right breast so I had to pump it out. The milk separated in the fridge and only a very thin layer of fat came out on top.
    So my question is how do I up my 'fatty' milk part? Does it have to do with my diet?
    I was going to wait until he was 6 months to start solids. What do you guys think? I want to do what's best for baby.

Btw, he's been strictly only breastfed since 1 month. We had a lot of struggles in the first month with his jaundice that would not clear up to 2 months and supply issues because we supplemented because of the jaundice. Hard times.

Thanks!

Default Re: Fatty milk

I would just continue to nurse. Your breastmilk has more nutritive value than any foods you'd be able to give him right now. While feeding him starchy baby cereals might pack on pounds it would not be the healthiest way.

You can't judge your breastmilk's fat content by one bottle, there is a lot of variation in pumped breastmilk and it depends on many different factors that are constantly changing.

If you want to try to make sure he is getting more of the fatty hindmilk you could encourage him to nurse longer on one side, try breast compressions to get the milk flowing again when he seems to lose interest, start each session with the breast you ended on the previous session...

but really it sounds like there is nothing to be concerned about and your doc is needlessly worrying you over something she herself said wasn't a concern. Babies grow at their own rates and they aren't going to grow consistently.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

If your pediatrician isn't worried about his weight gain, then don't worry about it. Your body can and will keep up with him nursing every 2 hours during the day and every 3 hours at night. My body kept up with my daughter nursing every 45 minutes at night for several months due to teething. It doesn't sound like your pediatrician is very knowledgable about breastfeeding.

You can't up the fatty milk part. It's normal for the milk to separate when it cools and sometimes there is more fat and sometimes less. But regardless, it's the perfect composition for your baby. Continue to nurse on demand and your baby will get what he needs. The solids aren't going to up his caloric intake - they will just replace milk in his diet and potentially decrease his caloric intake. Most solids have fewer calories per ounce than your milk does.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

My DS is 5 month old and weighs 13 lbs 14 oz, 25 3/4" long.
    He gained only 10 oz since the last check up which was at 4 months.
    This doesn't seem like a reason to be concerned- growth does tend to slow down as the baby gets older (otherwise they'd reach their first birthdays too fat to move) and 10 oz seems a reasonable amount to have gained in a month, especially based on this chart: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/chart2.html

The ped was suggesting that I start solids to up his caloric intake since I'm still nursing every 2 hours and about 3 at night. She is not worried or anything but thinks that my body might not be able to keep up with his metabolic rate.
    She's not concerned, yet thinks your body may not be able to adequately supply your LO? Sorry, to me that sounds like your pediatrician is blaming you for something which she either doesn't understand or can't quite explain. Either she's fine with your LO's weight and rate of gain or she's concerned that he's not getting enough. She can't have it both ways. And she shouldn't be undermining your confidence, because feeding every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night is totally normal.

I tried to pump the other day and only got 30ml from 1 side. This was when I had some knots in my right breast so I had to pump it out. The milk separated in the fridge and only a very thin layer of fat came out on top.
    Don't judge the fat content of your milk based on one pumping session, or on this pumping session in particular. When you have plugged ducts (which is what those knots almost certainly were), you will see a higher proportion of watery milk to fatty milk because the plugs are full of watery milk.

So my question is how do I up my 'fatty' milk part? Does it have to do with my diet?
    If you're still concerned, and I really don't think you should be, nursing more often is the best way to increase your baby's intake of fat.

I was going to wait until he was 6 months to start solids. What do you guys think? I want to do what's best for baby.
    If he were my baby, I'd wait.

my milk is always way more fatty at night than in the morning after nursing/pumping all day. First thing in the morning, it looks like skim milk!!

Have you ever looked at the nutritional info on rice cereal/oatmeal? nada. except iron that's been added.

I gave it to our guy becasue the ped. recommended it, then stopped promptly when it just didn't seem to make much sense. Fill them up on empty calories? wha???
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Thanks for the responses. I agree that my ped is making e worry for nothing. I went and got the cereal and avocado right after I left her office. Now I'm not sure if I really want to go through with it.
    The ped make it seems like nursing every 2 hours at this point is not that common. She was expecting every 3 or 4 hours. I guess after reading all your responses, it gave me more confidence in holding off on solids. Thanks ladies!!

I went and got the cereal and avocado right after I left her office. Now I'm not sure if I really want to go through with it.
    The cereal will keep- forever, probably! And the avocados can be made into some guacamole for you.

The ped make it seems like nursing every 2 hours at this point is not that common. She was expecting every 3 or 4 hours.
    Every 3-4 hours at 5 months?

Sounds like your pediatrician may not be too familiar with breastfed babies. My 5 month-old nurses every 1.5 hours during the day- or even more frequently- and every 1-3 at night. If I tried to hold her off for 3-4 hours, we would not be a very happy family!

My DS is 8 months old and still nurses every 1.5 hours (sometimes every hour) during the day & every 2 at night. We are just starting solids and so far it hasn't made a difference in how often he nurses...he's not too interested in the solids right now but I keep trying a little each day. I figure when he's ready he'll eat more. I wouldn't stress, baby sounds perfect to me. I would wait to introduce solids until baby is 6 months like AAP suggests.

I've gotten some "you're nursing that often" bunk from my pedi

You're the mama, you know what's going on with your LO. My son doesn't have a strong nursing pattern for the most part, because every day brings something new (teething, a cold, a fascinating new toy, a visit from grandparents, etc.). Sometimes he'll nurse every 1.5-2 hours during the day, sometimes more like 3-4. Sometimes he'll nurse all night long (seriously, like every 40 minutes), sometimes it will be 5-6 hours between feedings. Like, some days I'm too busy for a sit-down meal, on the weekends I like to cook everything from scratch and linger over a meal.

Anyway, if it feels like he's happy and contented, and you know that you're not ignoring his needs, then let him set the schedule and don't worry about it.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.