Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: She will latch..sorta..

Default She will latch..sorta..

I have a 23 day old baby who began with a shallow latch from birth and then after a few days starting screaming when I gave her my breast to feed at.
    She had lost 9% of her body weight at her 2nd day appointment and I was continuing to have latching issues with her so I started pumping. I was so wore out that I started giving formula at night and pumping for her during the day. I can't seem to catch up and get enough to give her throughout the day hardly anymore. I produce maybe 4-5 ounces in the morning, 2 ounces the 2nd time and then about 1-1.5 ounces after that... Whereas she will need about 3-4 ounces per feeding.

I know formula supplementation will make my supply go down and I know from reading I need to pump every 2-3 hours to maintain my supply. However, I really really want to get to the bottom of our latching issues. I want to "breastfeed" not "breast pump". And I don't want to have to keep buying formula! I like giving her my milk, it gives me a sense of accomplishment that I can feed her my milk. But, when I have to pump then give her a bottle it is more time consuming than simply giving her my breast.

She has started to "latch" a little bit better, but now she will suck for about 10-15 minutes(sometimes longer) then pull off start to cry with "hunger" and when I try to relatch her or put her on the other side she screams and fidgets around and won't even take the nipple. She then puts her hands in her mouth out of hunger and I end up giving her a bottle because at this point she will get to crying so hard that she can't calm down.

A friend of mine said the first thing they should look for is her tongue to see if she has the tie or not. But even though my healthcare provider knew I was having issues, she never looked. (she was/is very supportive of breastfeeding) I am an Army wife so we had one Dr. for the 2 day and then another for the 2 week and they were just "given" to us. Not really our "ped", just a shuffling of new babies through a system. I just get whatever Dr. they give me thorugh our Tricare insurance.

Default Re: She will latch..sorta..

That sounds really stressful. It's encouraging to hear that she will latch on and nurse for a little while though. If she can do it at all, she can certainly get better at it!

How often do you offer to nurse? I'm wondering if it would help with the frustration issue if you were able to start nursing when she's not very hungry yet.

It sounds like you could really use some hands on help. A certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) would be a good person to talk to about latch issues, and could also check for tongue-tie or other problems.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    It sounds like you could really use some hands on help. A certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) would be a good person to talk to about latch issues, and could also check for tongue-tie or other problems.
    If you can, please do see an IBCLC! Hands-on help makes an incredible difference.

What sort of pump are you using?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Unhappy Re: She will latch..sorta..

I am using the Symphony (Medela). I rent it. I am so frustrated, about ready to give up. I found out from a friend that my nipples are not normal, they are "flat" meaning I don't have any nipple that comes out for baby to latch on. My LO will basically lick my nipple but isn't really getting a true latch so she isn't really getting any nutrients from sucking. And that is why she pulls away and gets frustrated because she is hungry!!

I am not producing enough milk and wearing myself out via pumping. I am never engorged or feel "full" so I know my milk supply is lower than need be. Honestly I want my child to have breast milk!!! But, at this point the only thing keeping me from going full fledged formula is that it is soooo expensive!!! My husband is in the Army and our income isn't very high so the $13 can of formula adds up if we have to buy many cans a week.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    How often do you offer to nurse? I'm wondering if it would help with the frustration issue if you were able to start nursing when she's not very hungry yet.
    To be honest, less and less. It is just so disheartening to hear her scream and her little face turn red. And she has a set of lungs! Everyone around her from the nurses when she was first born to friends and family when they hear her cry mention that her cry is definitely a bit shrill...

She gets worked up so fast. My nipples didn't used to be so "flat" this all happened after pregnancy!!!! And this is when I am supposed to actually "use" them!!!!

One thing that might help for flat nipples is to pump for a few minutes immediately before trying to latch your baby on. The pump draws the nipples out and may make it easier for her to latch.

There are some other ideas and techniques here:

Breastfeeding With Flat or Inverted Nipples

I'm sorry you're having such a frustrating time.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--