Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: first time breastfeeding in public

Question first time breastfeeding in public

I'm first time mom of a two week old baby and breastfeeding has been pretty challenging for us, at this point we're sort of hit and miss as far as when we have a peaceful feeding time or a difficult one.

So my question is, does anyone remember how their babies took their first time feeding in public? Did you have breastfeeding well established before you took her to feed in a place away from home? I'm worried about losing all our hard work to get where we are now by upsetting her in a strange setting.

In the first week my nurse got me to pump and give her a bottle at the end of a feeding because she was losing to much weight and was dehydrated. She said to top her up at the end with the bottle (it's an avent bottle she said was recomended for breastfeeding), and if she gets frantic to use it to calm her down before trying to breastfeed again. So that seems to be working some of the time, and she'll have a settled uneventful feeding for an hour or two, in fact the bottle seems to have taught her how to suck better. But sometimes she fusses a lot, I do my best to keep her from getting to a wail, and it takes a combination of soothing and burping and walking and bottle before she'll calm down and breastfeed, which I think she's pretty good at when she is calm. I'm worried a new setting would scare her and make her take just the bottle.

Default Re: first time breastfeeding in public

I remember feeling near panic at the thought of breastfeeding in public just because it was such a struggle just to do it in the relative calm of our own home. And, as I recall, the first few times were awkward and challenging for us. The most helpful things for me were 1) time and practice and 2) learning to nurse while wearing him.

I remember, at some point, walking down the sidewalk calmly nursing DS and suddenly remembering how impossible that had seemed, and how easy it then felt....
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

My first time was at a breastfeeding support group (kind of like LLL) and that helped to just be around a bunch of other mommies. Many of my early times were just in a group of women who were pretty understanding. You never know how it will go until you try it. We did a lot of my milk in a bottle and a lot of pumping the first 8 months but it was worth it to have her get my milk. Do you have a mom or sister or anyone nearby you nurse in front of?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    My first time was at a breastfeeding support group (kind of like LLL) and that helped to just be around a bunch of other mommies. Many of my early times were just in a group of women who were pretty understanding. You never know how it will go until you try it. We did a lot of my milk in a bottle and a lot of pumping the first 8 months but it was worth it to have her get my milk. Do you have a mom or sister or anyone nearby you nurse in front of?
    wow it sounds like you've made it through a lot with your breastfeeding it's encouraging to hear even if i had to pump for several months and bottle feed there'd still be hope for her to breatfeed because i do hope to be able to put the bottle away eventually.
    right now i've nursed in front of my mom and sister

Yes we've been through a lot but so worth it and now I am so glad to have the opportunity to encourage other women. Anyway I'd keep going with some other breastfeeding moms if you can, if you're nursing and they are too it is much more comfortable. I am fine now going out to eat or at the park or zoo or wherever but it takes time.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

i remember the first time i bf in public was at applebees () - my mom and i took LO to walmart because we needed so much baby stuff and i don't have other stores around me. Applebees was the only place for lunch and i was staharving.

So.... he was about a week old, maybe two? i remember having him tied around me with a swaddling blanket because i didn't have anything else with me - and walking across the room to the bathroom to change his diaper with him latched on. I've actually become less public about nursing since(i still nip, just a little more discreetly!), but I think what makes bf the easiest in the beginning is just trying not to get anxious about it. nurse your LO where and when they're hungry or show the desire/need to eat.

I did worry a little about the screams/unhappiness, but it really wasn't too bad. I didn't feel like him nursing in a loud place was any harder for him than nursing in the quiet of our bedroom, really. I would say it's because i was so NOT used to nursing that i had him latched on walking by about 30 people - i didn't think he could wait two seconds to get to a more comfortable place for us!!

in the beginning, i think the 'strange place' is more about mama than baby, i feel like they adapt very easily
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

my first time was in Wal Mart where layaway use to be. There are chairs there and i moved one out of the flow of traffic had my older two sit on floor and used my cover up and nursed her. I think most people just thought i was taking a rest lol. Worked fine though. Good luck along your journey of nursing it is a blessing and I have made it a year with my 1st bf baby
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

our first times were in a breastfeeding support group. it wasn't scary at all since the environment was so supportive and at 1/2 a week, if baby went berserk, it could be semi-expected. the first time outside of a breastfeeding support group was when baby girl was 4 weeks and we went to church. i was really nervous because baby girl is not typically a cooperative nurser and i was also struggling with the nursing cover. but it went well!