Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not quite ready

Default not quite ready

dd is 3.
    in the past month she has dropped from 2-3-4 15-20 mins nursings to 5 mins each side before bed and in the am. and some time she will fall asleep without nursing.
    She slammed her head last week and wanted milk in the day, which was strange, not sure how I will comfort her when she stops, I've been shoving a boob in her mouth everytime she cried since she was born.
    I'm really not ready for her to stop, she's just a baby, she needs her milk, but at this point she keeps chaning her mind, one day she's a big girl that doesn't need any the next she's so excited about it.... if she skips a day or two, and then nurses a day or two, how long will the milk stick around?

Default Re: not quite ready

There could be some for quite a while. It tends not to vanish completely; there can be traces even months or years (yes, years) after weaning. If she's nursing every couple days she'll keep stimulating your supply, even if it's just a little bit. It'll be there as long as she needs it to be there.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: not quite ready

I could still express some milk a few years after nursing and even get a bit of some fluid 10 years after nursing DS1. I think enough is there for the purpose that she is needing right now which seems more for comfort.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens