Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone successfully wean their toddler in a short time?

Default Anyone successfully wean their toddler in a short time?

Okay, I'm thinking way ahead. I'm not planning on weaning anytime soon. However, the fact is I am in the Air Force and there is always the possibility I could have to be away from my family. I will not be going anywhere while I'm in the class I'm in now, but when I finish Levi will be about 20 months old. When I finish I will need to go to another 6 week-long class at some point in the following months, and that will mean being away from Levi for that time.

I have seen threads before for people asking for advice on this, but haven't seen many success stories. Anybody been through this before? Of course I want the process to be as gentle as possible if I do have to wean him in a short time.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Default Re: Anyone successfully wean their toddler in a short time?

HI

I don't have any advice I am afraid, but have a little idea of what you are going through. I have just had to start doing overnights with work and that is hard enough.

A few of my friends who have weaned little ones at around 7/8 months said that they just replaced feeds with a bottle feed by feed. I think that's great if you can, but there was no chance with my little guy as he hates bottles. We had to buy every sippy cup on the market to find one that he liked!!!

Good luck x
    Amy, very proud Mum to beautiful Gabriel, born 11/12/2009. We are looking forward to baby number 2 arriving in January

We loved , but stopped after 9 months because I went back to work. We think that cloth nappies rock

Could not have breastfed without the fab support of husband Chris and of course the LLL!!!!

Beth, that would be hard and scary for me to contemplate. I don't know how people do it, but it may help for you to try to get down to 2 nursing sessions in a day... and even if they are at bedtime, Levi won't expect that from your DH.

A friend of mine recently weaned her 2 year old mainly by distraction until she got down to nursing at bedtime and naptime. Then she got rid of the naptime nursing and bedtime nursing over a couple weeks. There were tears, but the mom was just done with it and it was done as gently as possible.

Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I wonder if he would still nurse after I was gone for 6 weeks if I pumped during that time. There are a lot of "what ifs" in this scenario anyway, because I don't know where I will be stationed. It is possible that I would living in Georgia, attending the class in Alabama and I would be able to come home on weekends to see everyone. Either way I know it will be tough even if I don't completely wean him. He nurses like 18,965 times a day now, and who knows how much he'll be nursing then.

I was actually afraid that they were going to send me to this class when Levi turned 6 months old, and I'm glad that things worked out differently so that I didn't have to go then. I don't know what I would have done! I will be "overdue" for the class by the time I get to my next assignment.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

it is very possible he would want to nurse when u got home. you could try and at least you wouldn't doubt yourself for not trying.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton