Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: PAINFUL LETDOWN/ Nipple Pain / @5wks--TONGUE TIE?????

Default PAINFUL LETDOWN/ Nipple Pain / @5wks--TONGUE TIE?????

OK...i'm going to categorize this post in 3 parts b/c i'm starting to feel really confused about breastfeeding this baby and don't understand what the problem is. I know this is alot to put in one post but there are so many experienced moms and hopefully LC's that can answer this question i prefer to just keep it all in one post.

1. FORCEFUL/PAINFUL letdown
      1. when baby is sleeping but about to wake up i find myself rushing to get her out of the bed and latch her on b/c I sense a letdown coming.....I have such a forceful one that i loose about an ounce in each breast just from the letdown. I got a "MILKIES MILK SAVER" but thats only for 1 breast. Its like my breast don't have the ability to hold in milk? Still soaking 4 pairs of pads per day.
      2. This letdown, whether her shes latched or not, is very painful throughout the breast and nipple. I didn't have this with DD 2 years ago. today I was putting her in swing with left breast still exposed and as i bent over the force of gravity caused my "what I thought was empty" breast to spray all over her face!
      3. DD chokes on my letdown and theres alot of "clicking" sound when the letdown is happening. Theres so much she pops off and the milk sprays her in the face. Its quite comical...but serious. ONLY LASTS about 1/2 minute
    2. Nipple Pain while nursing
      • I've practiced and practiced the latch. The LC has witnessed it and said its fine. HOWEVER, within 2-3 minutes of nursing she comes to the front of the breast sucking only the nipple. At that point I unlatch her and relatch. My nipple comes out of her mouth at the end of a nursing session looking (white on the tip and slanted tip)
      • They are NOT CRACKED OR BLEEDING. Skin is healthy.
    3. Possible Tongue tie
      • Though she does't have the classical tongue tie with the "heart shaped tip of tongue" I do believe theres something there that may be causing the shallow latch. Because when I sweep my pinky finger under her tongue theres a def "stop" and i have to pull out a little to get to the other side.
      • I've taken her to the PED last week who initially said there was no tongue tie at birth. He took a second look and agreed it was a "mild" case and referred me to Pediatric Dentist. He told me it would be a surgical procedure using a cauterizing tool and I just thought it was extreme. Then he told me about his child who had a "major" case that required "oral surgery". OK...?? So he's only seen a "severe case"?
      • What about the cases where they only "CLIP" the frenum? I came across this website yesterday http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/pdf/frenum_pdf.pdf
      • FRENOTOMY--simple clipping of membrane does not require anesthesia b/c theres no nerve endings in this very thin membrane. I told him that this was what I thought was required and he acted as though I was speaking greek and that this was ALWAYS a surgical procedure done by a dentist?
      • on PG 22 of the website above it says all the reasons to go forward with the "freneotomy"....the two in red are the ones I AM experiencing.
        Painful attachment at breast
        • Nipple trauma / nipple breakdown

• Failure to thrive / poor milk transfer
    QUESTION: how do i know if i have nipple breakdown? Could the fact that i have painfull letdown and loose lots of milk indicate nipple breakdown?

WOW THIS IS LONG...AGAIN I'M SORRY. JUST DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START.
    Mom to Savannah (2yrs old--BF till 12mo)
    MOM to TREY (19 yrs) didn't breastfeed

Due AUG 2010 with 3rd child
    Plan to at work and at home.

Default Re: PAINFUL LETDOWN/ Nipple Pain / @5wks--TONGUE TIE?????

The first two issues sound more to me like just a forefull letdown/oversupply issue. Even the pain at letdown is quite common- I get a pins and needles feeling at letdown even now (18 months) but some moms experience a quite painful letdown- but that will get better. The clicking and pulling off the breast onto the nipple is probably your LO's way of dealing with the fast/large amount of milk at let down. This could all be compounded if she has a slight toungue tie. So what I would recommend is
    1) when your milk lets down unlatch your DD, catch the let down in a cloth or the milkie then when it stops spraying latch her back on. This way she is not drowning in milk
    2) look at this link for info on overactive let down/oversupply. Block feeding will help to decrease your supply a little to make it more in line with what your DD needs.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    3) I would probably get a second opinion on the toungue tie from a different ped or pediatric dentist.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Okay, this is what jumps out at me: your latch starts out fine. But after 2-3 minutes, the baby slips up so that she's sucking on the nipple instead of the breast. That sort of behavior is often how a baby copes with a fast letdown. My LC compared it to the baby intentionally "crimping the straw" in order to slow the flow of milk.

With respect to the frenotomy, I don't know if I would go ahead with it at this time. I'd want to do a lot of position work and possible block feeding first (oversupply is usually the cause of fast letdowns, and block supply is how you reduce oversupply). With all due respect to the pain you're feeling, it sounds like you are only experiencing 1 of the criteria for frenotomy: painful attachment. Nipple breakdown is not a term I'm familiar with, but I am guessing that it refers to severe cracking and blistering. And your nipple skin is okay.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I still have painful letdowns at 8 months. Some women do.

For the first month, I had to wear a bra 24/7, because if my breasts jostled at all I'd get leakage and the pain of letdown. I hated showering, because I couldn't even towel off without it. This was the oversupply phase of life for me. I still had some degree of oversupply to about 5 months, but the first month was the worst.

It sounds like overactive letdown to me, too. As far as the letdown, it can help to nurse where you're reclining backward and LO is on top of you. Also, any position where she's on her side and can dribble milk out of the side of her mouth will help. You don't want milk to be going right to the back of her throat.

As far as LO slipping off the nipple, it could be a reaction to your letdown, but I'm wondering if you're supporting your breast throughout the nursing session. If you're large-breasted, the weight of your breast can drag the nipple out of good latch position as LO gets tired and slows down with active nursing at the end of a session.
    Last edited by @llli*manatee; September 13th, 2010 at 08:55 AM.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manatee View Post
    As far as LO slipping off the nipple, it could be a reaction to your letdown, but I'm wondering if you're supporting your breast throughout the nursing session. If you're large-breasted, the weight of your breast can drag the nipple out of good latch position as LO gets tired and slows down with active nursing at the end of a session.
    that is definitly a possibility. I still have to support my breast or my little guy has a hard time hanging onto it.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manatee View Post

Sorry i just have to giggle at this one.... My breast do not in any way "drag". I can't even hold a pencil under them....they are tee tiny. I'm a 36B very perky. Even now in the NURSING phase they are still pretty much the same size.....they're fuller but like i said...if i put a pencil under one breast it just falls to the floor...no sag whatsoever.

I guess I don't have nipple trauma it just feels traumatic to me.

I'll try catching my letdown in a towel or milkie or small volume feeder...and see if that helps.

Also---i'll postpone the procedure aspect of the tongue tie. I'm taking her tomorrow to a local ENT just for evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ladyinwaiting.ladyinwaiting View Post
    Sorry i just have to giggle at this one.... My breast do not in any way "drag". I can't even hold a pencil under them....they are tee tiny. I'm a 36B very perky. Even now in the NURSING phase they are still pretty much the same size.....they're fuller but like i said...if i put a pencil under one breast it just falls to the floor...no sag whatsoever.
    Wow, want to trade tatas? You can have my floor-gazers, and I'll take the perky ones...

I guess I don't have nipple trauma it just feels traumatic to me.
    I understand completely, Mama. Until you've had to face severe nipple pain multiple times in a day, you don't know just how traumatic nursing can be. It's like sticking your finger in an electrical outlet time after time- there's no-one who'd face that kind of pain for anyone, except a mother who would do it for her child.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Didn't take her to ENT as planned ....husband freaked over the 75$ initial office visit just to look in her mouth.

So....i'm going to my first LLL Support Meeting tomorrow at 10am. I'll bring all these issues up with them and see what happens.