Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nursing Strike in 14 month old after strep throat

Default Nursing Strike in 14 month old after strep throat

So ds had fever last Thursday night and wasn't comforted by nursing like he usually is. (we co-sleep and he nurses 6-7 times a night) Friday he had a fever of 103, ped said to give him tylenol and ibuprofen and wait it out. He had no other symptoms. He took 25 oz of EBM from a bottle while I was at work. Saturday, still fever, and slobbery, wouldn't swallow and barely nursed during the day. Yesterday, took him to urgent care and while his strep test was negative, the md indicated that he thought it was strep and gave us an antibiotic. However, ds didn't nurse at all yesterday. I pumped because I was exploding and he took a few bottles. Last night I was able to sneak a boob in once while he slept, but the other times he woke up fussing he wouldn't take it.

I don't think he's weaning because he normally nurses 4-5 times during the day and 6 times at night and doesn't really care for solids. This seems very sudden.

I'm thinking that he is on a nursing strike because he associates nursing with his sore throat. What do I do to end this strike? Will he go back to the boob when he feels better or is he going to still associate it with his sore throat?

Thanks,
    Catie
    JKM 7/28/09 10 lbs, 22.5 inches still nursing at least twice a day (more if I would let him!)

FDM 11/16/11 8 lbs 15 oz, 20.25 inches EBF

Default Re: Nursing Strike in 14 month old after strep throat

poor baby. Are you still giving the pain meds?
    I bet he will be fealing beter today. 24 hours on the antibotics and they are normaly fealing alot beter from the strep

I bet he'll come back around momma. Lots of kids go on nursing strikes for various reasons. A sore throat being one of them. The pressure from sucking and swallowing could have been more painful while nursing than from a bottle or cup b/c it takes more effort to nurse.

Poor baby, and to momma too! Give him some time and keep offering lots. Offer as much as you can without getting him upset. Keep trying to get him to latch while he's sleeping or almost asleep. When he feels better he'll forget about the illness and then nursing will likely resume.

I'd go ahead and keep giving some anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen if you feel comfortable doing that. It might help the throat swelling.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Still giving the ibuprofen and tylenol for pain. I'm working today so he's getting bottles of EBM, but I'm wondering if I should not offer him bottles tomorrow, just try to nurse him and eventually he'll nurse? I don't know. I'll still have to pump so I don't explode.

Thanks for the help!
    JKM 7/28/09 10 lbs, 22.5 inches still nursing at least twice a day (more if I would let him!)

If hes used to the bottles I think I might just keep that the same.
    How long are you gone?

IF hes willing to take the bottle and didn't get dehydrated thats a very good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    If hes used to the bottles I think I might just keep that the same.
    How long are you gone?

IF hes willing to take the bottle and didn't get dehydrated thats a very good thing.
    I work 12 hr shifts so I won't get home until 8Pm tonight. I'm off tomorrow so we'll be together all day. If he refuses to nurse tomorrow, should I offer him EBM in a bottle or just hold out and see if he gets hungry enough to nurse? I don't want him to be traumatized, but I also want to nurse rather than pump and give him bottles when we're together.

I'd offer the breast first either when he's awake or drowsy. Then if he won't take it or gets upset I'd give a bottle a bit after. Not right away, but you don't want him to get dehydrated so keep his fluids up as you can. When he's fully recovered I think you can work on getting him back to the breast when you are together. For now follow his cues. Especially since he's been unwell.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

So he nursed when I got home last night and fell asleep nursing. But when he woke up fussing, he wouldn't take the boob. We gave him some ibuprofen and got him back to sleep with paci. Another time he woke up and did take the boob. This morning however he is awake and won't take it. He seems to be feeling much better from the strep though in every other way.

awe poor momma... sometimes that happens.
    lots of wonderful tips here

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

just keep trying.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the support. I'm pretty sure the strike is over!(knock on wood) He nursed a lot last night and this morning already.